Cover a carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liquisky

Reaction score
I have a 6.5 gal carboy I'm using as a primary fermenter now. I like to see what's going on :)

I have it in a corner of a room with the lights normally off. There is never any direct sunlight on it.

My question is, is there enough diffuse light to cause any problems, or do I need to cover it with a blanket or something?

Thanks.

You should be fine. Direct sunlight and prolonged exposure to neon lights are where you have to be careful. Most household lightbulbs have an insignificant effect on beer as long as it is not directed at it in any way.

Then again, you could be like me and just cover it. I toss a t-shirt over all my fermenters. Plus if you have to cool it for any reason, just dump a cold bowl of icewater over the shirt.

You should be fine. I always kept my primary in a dark closet....maybe you have one? If not, using the t-shirt method is always good, make sure its a really bad arse t-shirt though. :ban:

You should be fine. I always kept my primary in a dark closet....maybe you have one? If not, using the t-shirt method is always good, make sure its a really bad arse t-shirt though. :ban:

Yeah, like this one.

OakedBastard1.jpg

OakedBastard2.jpg

i use clean old towels. I've had a couple of surprise fermentations that oozed up and out of the airlock. the towels made cleanup insanely simple :mug:

Back