Pilsener Malt for an APA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

appraiserdude

Reaction score
I need some advice please. I have quite a bit of Pilsener malt that needs to be used & was wondering if anyone had substituted Pilsener for Pale or Morris Otter in an APA style ale? If so, is there anything different I should do or do they substitute 'one for one'? Thanks so much for any help,

GR

I've not used Pilsner malt before but I know others have, with good success. The only advice I've seen quoted is to boil for 90 minutes rather than 60, to ensure that DMS is boiled off. Other than that, I think it'd make for a good beer. Good luck with it - let us know how you get on.

appraiserdude said:
I need some advice please. I have quite a bit of Pilsener malt that needs to be used & was wondering if anyone had substituted Pilsener for Pale or Morris Otter in an APA style ale? If so, is there anything different I should do or do they substitute 'one for one'? Thanks so much for any help,

GR
I've used pils malt for an IPA often. It's a good base malt that can be used to brew a lot of good beers. I'm going to be using some Marris Otter to make some English and Scottish ales. I have been told that the marris definately has a unique taste that would be different in a beer. For an APA the pils would work great.

I have used it, but as many here recommend, do a 90 minute rolling boil to minimize DMS (creamed corn flavor).

Back