Aberdeen Brown Tweak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boerderij_Kabouter

Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

I will be brewing a Newcastle clone this weekend and am trying to solidify my recipe. I like BM's Aberdeen but had the following questions when reading his thread....

I am looking to brew a Newcastle Clone this weekend and this recipe looks good. I am a bit concerned with the amount of Cara-malts in there though. I also like the idea of adding a dash of Special B. What do you guys think of this?

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item
13.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
2.00 lb Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM)
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Special B
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)
0.10 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Target [11.00%] (60 min)
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (15 min)

What I am thinking of changing is in red. Leave everything else the same and mash at 152 degF. I like the dry/thin mouthfeel of Newcastle and am looking for that to quench my thirst in the upcoming hot months. Do you think this will be farther from the original or a little closer?

Thanks for the help,
Justin

Boerderij Kabouter said:
Hi Everybody,

I will be brewing a Newcastle clone this weekend and am trying to solidify my recipe. I like BM's Aberdeen but had the following questions when reading his thread....

I am looking to brew a Newcastle Clone this weekend and this recipe looks good. I am a bit concerned with the amount of Cara-malts in there though. I also like the idea of adding a dash of Special B. What do you guys think of this?

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item
13.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
2.00 lb Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM)
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Special B
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)
0.10 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Target [11.00%] (60 min)
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (15 min)

What I am thinking of changing is in red. Leave everything else the same and mash at 152 degF. I like the dry/thin mouthfeel of Newcastle and am looking for that to quench my thirst in the upcoming hot months. Do you think this will be farther from the original or a little closer?

Thanks for the help,
Justin

What yeast would you be using because that could make a great difference in outcome of the beer. I personally think that the quantities of the grains in question are a little high and will produce a Dark beer then you intend. Try plugging it into a recipe calculator or brewing software and see what the color looks like. if you don't have brewing calculator try the online one at www.beertools.com.

The grain bill looks fine. Pretty much spot on. If you can't get your hands on a whitbred yeast, use an English ALe yeast. Even the Safale-04 would attenuate a bit less and give you that slight "sweetness" that NC has.

PS - There's no need to multi-post. Your questions will get answered eventually. ;)

Hey BierMuncher,

the color on your Aberdeed Brown looked spot on. Do you think the SRM is just wrong in this case about Newcastle? Do you think it should be lighter? Maybe take away even more of the specialty grains and add more pale malt?

This is the first clone of a commercial beer I will have done. I am partially doing it as a test to see how close I can get so I want to "clone" NC as closely as possible. Thanks for all the help!

Back