Belgian Golden Strong Ale Duvel (AG)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TUCK

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Recultured Duvel Yeast From Bottle
Yeast Starter
Yes
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
11 days at 72F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
8 Days At 72F
[size=+2]Dooval[/size]
[size=+1]18-D Belgian Golden Strong Ale[/size]

05.jpg

Size: 5.0 gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 234.15 per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.070 (1.070 - 1.095)
|========#=======================|
Terminal Gravity: 1.018 (1.010 - 1.016)
|============================#===|
Color: 5.7 (4.0 - 6.0)
|=====================#==========|
Alcohol: 6.92% (7.5% - 10.0%)
|====#===========================|
Bitterness: 32.31 (25.0 - 35.0)
|===================#============|

[size=+1]Ingredients:[/size]
9.75 lbs Belgian Pils
.25 lbs Crystal 15
4 oz Belgian Aromatic
1 lbs Candi Sugar Clear
1 lbs Corn Sugar
1 oz Styrian Goldings (6.0%) - added during boil, boiled 90 min
.25 oz Styrian Goldings (6.0%) - added during boil, boiled 30 min
.25 oz Czech Saaz (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 30 min
.25 oz Styrian Goldings (6.0%) - added during boil, boiled 12 min
11 lbs Mixed Pears - added dry to secondary fermenter
1 ea Duvel Bottled Beer Duvel (Recultured Yeast)

[size=+1]Schedule:[/size]
Ambient Air: 70.0 °F
Source Water: 60.0 °F
Elevation: 0.0 m

[size=+1]Notes:[/size]
11# of pears were de-cored, chopped,put in a blender, then placed in the secondary.

[size=-1]Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.0.29[/size]

Iordz said:
Why would you want to add pears to a perfectly good beer?!

Because the clone recipe called for 4 oz of pear flavoring, and I don't do artificial flavors. They taste fake in which they are

I admit I did go over the top with 11#, next time I will only use 6#

TUCK said:
Because the clone recipe called for 4 oz of pear flavoring, and I don't do artificial flavors. They taste fake in which they are

I have seen a number of recipes with pears, pear extract and all the malt additions but I really can't see the point. The right yeast (& temps), belgian pils and some sugar get you on the mark.

TUCK said:

Sounds interesting to me. What does it taste like?

landhoney said:
Sounds interesting to me. What does it taste like?

I really due pick up on the Commercial Duvel qualities ,the yeast is "zingy with huge head, the grain and mouthfeel is nice and crisp and dry. But to tell you the truth as I continue to drink it I seem to belive (as mentioned before) the pears are a little over powering.

I dont even know if I will use the pears next time (don't let me confuse you, it is good...but), I actually saved a gallon without pears added.

I put it in a old handmade ceramic jug I found in my grandpas basement (house is over a 100 years old. I cleaned it with b-clean, sanatized it 3 times, added a little extract and found a cork that fits perfectly, hammered that sucker in and as of now I have to wait for it to carbonate itself and I will try it and let ya know how it is.

I really can't see Duvel using pears.
I just looked in my copy of "Brew Like a Monk" and saw the recipe:

DUVEL
OG: 1.069 IBU:30
Malt:
83% Pilsener malt blend
17% Dextrose
Hops:
Styrian Goldings
Saaz
Yeast: Duvel
White Labs say that WLP570 originated from Duvel, WYeast say 1338 also did. Pitch at 62F and allow yeast to rise naturally during fermentation to around +72F.

TUCK said:
Just because you need pear flavoring doesn't mean you need to use artificial flavoring.

mr x said:
Just because you need pear flavoring doesn't mean you need to use artificial flavoring.

True.

In short- I like too try new things/ Do it yourself, do u do it...yourself

So, I thought, oooo pearsssss. Oooooo, Asian Pears...Mmmmmmm.

And next thing I now I amin the kitchen choppen like Wolfgang, got a little pear happy and 11# went in.:ban:

Just an update*

The pear really mellowed out. I am extremely pleased at how good this turned out.

The strong residual sweetness is gone and the pear is just lingering in the back of the palate on the finish, with very high carbonation that "zings" the palate on contact. A very nice and elegant beer if I say so myself. PLEASE SOMEONE TRY THIS if you love Golden Belgium's.

For anyone wanting to try something adventurous, this is it. I am so selfish with this beer I won't even let my self pull on the tap too much.

I will be trying the batch without the pear for the first time this weekend, so I will update ASAP on the results.

TUCK said:
Just an update*

The pear really mellowed out. I am extremely pleased at how good this turned out.

The strong residual sweetness is gone and the pear is just lingering in the back of the palate on the finish, with very high carbonation that "zings" the palate on contact. A very nice and elegant beer if I say so myself. PLEASE SOMEONE TRY THIS if you love Golden Belgium's.

For anyone wanting to try something adventurous, this is it. I am so selfish with this beer I won't even let my self pull on the tap too much.

I will be trying the batch without the pear for the first time this weekend, so I will update ASAP on the results.

You know what - I was looking for something different to do next weekend; I think I found it. I love pears and I think they'd really add to a beer. I did a watermelon wheat and was THRILLED with the results, so I think I'm going to give this a shot.

I'm going to use hops I have on hand - Willamette instead of Goldings and Sorachi Ace in place of the Saaz. I'll probably use WLP570 for the yeast too. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks for posting something a little outside of the ordinary!!

rdwj said:
You know what - I was looking for something different to do next weekend; I think I found it. I love pears and I think they'd really add to a beer. I did a watermelon wheat and was THRILLED with the results, so I think I'm going to give this a shot.

I'm going to use hops I have on hand - Willamette instead of Goldings and Sorachi Ace in place of the Saaz. I'll probably use WLP570 for the yeast too. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks for posting something a little outside of the ordinary!!

Glad to hear it and can't wait to hear your results good luck:mug:

BTW did you brew it?

Umm, I don't live too far away, and I'll be passing through your neck of the woods on my way to Tennessee in a couple of weeks. Just thinkin' that that pear Duvel sounds pretty interesting. Just sayin'.

doublegun said:
Umm, I don't live too far away, and I'll be passing through your neck of the woods on my way to Tennessee in a couple of weeks. Just thinkin' that that pear Duvel sounds pretty interesting. Just sayin'.

LOL

OH man I wish I had some to spare, I only have one 40oz bottle left and it will be aging until November.

BUT we should get together and brew a few.:mug:

Ok,So I opened up a bottle I had saved for a friend ( I saved it for 6 months), he never came to pick it up and I was feeling froggy, so I popped it.
And let me say...OMG. I was so pissed I floated the keg so soon. The pear really reallly reallly mellowed out. The buddy I wax tasting it with was pickin up apples and apricot and I finally told him it was asian pears.

I am so freakin impresses by this. I know it IS a pain in the ass to brew but boy was it worth it for me. This will be my next brew for sure!

NOTE: Previous in this post I said not to add as much pear as I did, BUT, I take it back if you wanna put some age on her. If you like golden Belgians then this is it:ban:

My bar gets our Duvel shipment in tommorrow and this time I think I might take the yeast from 2 or more bottles to try to decrease my starter-prep time.

If brewed give it time...when it's done, give it more time

BTW I still have the bottle intended to be opened NOVEMBER 08

I kegged my version this weekend - used 10 pounds of mixed pears in 10 gals. The hydro sample tasted AMAZING. I can't wait for it to carb up so I can give it a shot.

Mine fermented down to 002 after adding the pears - so, it's going to pack a punch! Any idea how to account for the sugar in the pears as it relates to alcohol %?

rdwj said:
I kegged my version this weekend - used 10 pounds of mixed pears in 10 gals. The hydro sample tasted AMAZING. I can't wait for it to carb up so I can give it a shot.

Mine fermented down to 002 after adding the pears - so, it's going to pack a punch! Any idea how to account for the sugar in the pears as it relates to alcohol %?

I am sure their is a way (maybe with a refractometer) but I did not, It "felt " like it had a nice punch to me.

I would call it a desert beer in its early stages yet give it 3-6 and it is just tasty any time.:ban:

I am excited to see how yours turns out.
Keep me updated:tank:

BTW: were you able to use Duvel yeast

You know this beer kind of taste like Duvel, with it being a Golden Ale as well, yet I don't think I want to call it a clone nor due I think it is fair/respectful to the original Duvel.
So with this in mind I think I will call it

DOOVAL

Because it a adds a little American to it because every time someone (snobby rich American) orders one at my bar thats how they say it. When it is pronounced De-vil

Ya thats kind of beer snobby-ish but oh well, I like it.:cross:

I used WLP570 as it was a quick recipe decision and I didn't have the time to culture from a bottle. I had a tap open up, so it's carbing and should be ready to drink this weekend. I'll probably let it sit for a while and start working down some of the commercial bottles I have in the fridge.

I'm glad to know how to pronounce Duvel correctly. I was pronouncing it the rich snob way - lol. I've been calling it a Golden Pear Ale, but I'm trying to think of something a little more creative. Something like And Ale Pearable or some other play on words.

...so, I'm sipping on a half glass as we speak. It needs another week or two, but man is this a good beer. I only used a pound per gallon, so the fruit flavor is faint, but in the foreground for sure. Another couple of weeks and this is going to be PERFECT.

This won't last long at my house. This is the kind of beer that my friends will DEVOUR!

I really like fruit beers that feature a subtle fruit. I'm thinking pear might work well in a wheat too. I'm also considering working cantaloupe into something.

rdwj said:
...so, I'm sipping on a half glass as we speak. It needs another week or two, but man is this a good beer. I only used a pound per gallon, so the fruit flavor is faint, but in the foreground for sure. Another couple of weeks and this is going to be PERFECT.

This won't last long at my house. This is the kind of beer that my friends will DEVOUR!

I really like fruit beers that feature a subtle fruit. I'm thinking pear might work well in a wheat too. I'm also considering working cantaloupe into something.

Very Nice. I am glad it was a success for you.
If you can stash some away to forget about for up to a year. It ages nicely

Man o man, you got my wheels turning with the cantaloupe... maybe add some honey dew and make a MelonBall Wheat Brew.

I am still awaiting November to open the last bottle, but in the mean time I plan on trying to do a 10 gallon batch of this to sit till x-mas

I ended up having a bunch of people for SWMBO's b-day over the weekend. The Golden Pear Ale was a HUGE hit and I think it's almost gone. Several people needed to be driven home. That stuff packs quite a punch and you'd never know it by it's taste.

rdwj said:
I ended up having a bunch of people for SWMBO's b-day over the weekend. The Golden Pear Ale was a HUGE hit and I think it's almost gone. Several people needed to be driven home. That stuff packs quite a punch and you'd never know it by it's taste.
LOL, Nice.

Your not as stingy as I am with my brew

I just brewed another batch last weekend, I can't wait!:ban:

Many years ago Duvel was bottle aged for 12 months prior to sale so a 14 month process when combined with the original two months to brew it. Next time you have a go you may wish to reserve some for bottle aging in cool conditions. Duvel Moortgat referred to this as "sleeping time".

de - vil??

I have always pronounced it duvel - like doo and vel.

Like all my friends (french speaking and english) call it - even people from belgium pronounce it duvel - not de - vil

It's more like Da-Vel...To Each His Own...

However, Duvel, translated into English as devil, having been first mashed and malted nearly a century ago in Breendonk, Belgium, is one of the most uniquely satisfying brews I've ever drained.

I named mine Doovel b/c it is my version and not hte exact clone.

Look it up, I f I really cared I would post the book page (scanned) and show but I would rather use that time to drink my Bad-Azz Da-Vel beer....:mug:

Also if you like to Argue the name then start a new thread this is a recipe thread...Newbie

Either Way it is not worth bickering about and it is Damn Good Beer Hands Down!!!
ENJOY YOURSELF

Also if you like to Argue the name then start a new thread this is a recipe thread...Newbie

Ha, ok Master Brewer.

A quick question, you said:

11 lbs Mixed Pears - added dry to secondary fermenter
11# of pears were de-cored, chopped,put in a blender, then placed in the secondary.

I am confused by "added dry" and then your description of how you added them. Maybe "added dry" is just an expression or term I am not familiar with, but you didn't dry out the pear puree before adding to the secondary did you? I would assume you just added what probably looked like a pear slushee straight into the secondary.
Am I spot on or way off?

I am looking forward to brewing this. I give Duvel credit for introducing me to real beer, and would love to brew a Doovel in honor of that.

Ha, ok Master Brewer.

A quick question, you said:

I am confused by "added dry" and then your description of how you added them. Maybe "added dry" is just an expression or term I am not familiar with, but you didn't dry out the pear puree before adding to the secondary did you? I would assume you just added what probably looked like a pear slushee straight into the secondary.
Am I spot on or way off?

I am looking forward to brewing this. I give Duvel credit for introducing me to real beer, and would love to brew a Doovel in honor of that.

I like your attitude and style already...Probably a kinda guy I would hang around... anywho

Yea the "added dry" I believe was in the option within the program so it is irrelevant, and yes I added the the pears by peeling then de-cored <sp?> them and pureed.

It was a slush like substance and a pain in the azz to funnel into the carboy.

Like I said in previous post (I think) I would discourage adding all 11.5 lb. unless you plan on aging or you like a little sweetness to your brew maybe half (5lb.) if you want to drink it within a month or two (just my personal belief).

However I did find that the sweetness began to drop off (mellow out) extremely quick after 3 months and declining thereafter.

I still have one (22 oz) bottle left that I plan on opening in Nov. (it will be 1 year old) I will definitely post taste profile as soon as I indulge.

Hope it turns out great for you:mug:

It's more like Da-Vel...To Each His Own...

However, Duvel, translated into English as devil, having been first mashed and malted nearly a century ago in Breendonk, Belgium, is one of the most uniquely satisfying brews I've ever drained.

I named mine Doovel b/c it is my version and not hte exact clone.

Look it up, I f I really cared I would post the book page (scanned) and show but I would rather use that time to drink my Bad-Azz Da-Vel beer....:mug:

Either Way it is not worth bickering about and it is Damn Good Beer Hands Down!!!
ENJOY YOURSELF

who's arguing mate? have a re-read of my post and you will find there is no intent of an argument...

the only reason is cause I don't know anyone that would call it doo-vel like the snob americans say...only the proper way...call your beer whatever you like - I like the recipe and will make it

just don't get your panties in a twist man - you must get easily offended haha :)

who's arguing mate? have a re-read of my post and you will find there is no intent of an argument...

the only reason is cause I don't know anyone that would call it doo-vel like the snob americans say...only the proper way...call your beer whatever you like - I like the recipe and will make it

just don't get your panties in a twist man - you must get easily offended haha :)

:) I was trying to be a smartazzz guess it didn't come across that way. Me ....offended. Not even close. Maybe if you spit my beer in my face and took a dump on my coffee table sure.

No harm no fowl

RDWHAHB

BTW have a re-read of the post it was not intended to be directed to you...haha:)

oh yeah - for real :)

What is the optimum time to drink this beer? I mean - I like good beer but I don't like to wait a year for it...

Tuck, FWIW, I spent 6 months in Flanders and the flemish pronounced it doovel... The recipe looks really interesting - especially because of the reviews!

I'm thinking of doing a double batch of this - no chill!

Then doing one batch without pears and the other with pears - and I'll see how it goes. I'm hoping that one with the fruit is great, just a quick question, did you find that the fruit added a haze to the beer? Or did the extended conditioning time drop it out?

Cheers
Phil

By the Way I did try the one that I aged for a year and I think it is best enjoyed aged for 6 months tops....the pear was very faint and some blandness was detected :(

I don't know if anyone can help me. I was thinking about brewing this beer. I did not see any mash time/temp. instructions, I may have missed them though.

Back