Brown sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaelpeach76

Reaction score
I brewed a brown ale using Crystal 120L, roasted barley, and biscuit malt. Also I used vienna as part of my base. Bittered with cascade and and flavored with amarillo. I added brown sugar at flame out...it a bit late now, but I put 1.5 cups into a 4 gallon batch. Is that Kind of overkill?

I brewed a brown ale using Crystal 120L, roasted barley, and biscuit malt. Also I used vienna as part of my base. Bittered with cascade and and flavored with amarillo. I added brown sugar at flame out...it a bit late now, but I put 1.5 cups into a 4 gallon batch. Is that Kind of overkill?

No, not really. What kind of beer are you calling this? English Old? I made an english old without the roasted barley with a very similar grain profile...but then again, the English Old recipes I found online were literally ALL over the place so I kinda had to wing it.

I even used brown sugar at flameout too! I mashed pretty high though 156, and there was plenty of crystal 120, so I figure the sugar will help dry it out a touch....

Back