Dark Mild Sandy's Mild Breeze (English Mild)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're not used to small beers, you'll get an unexpected jump in efficiency. You actually have to be careful about oversparging.

You'll end up stronger and drier, which is more akin to the commercial Milds exported into the US. Nothing wrong with that.

I did a method (not sure the name) where I mashed at about 1.3 qt/lb for 55 minutes then added all of my sparge water (169 degrees), stirred and let it sit for 10 minutes then lautered. I read this helps with yielding a maltier beer and helps keep the ph more stable. I usually get about 65% efficiency when I go that route so that's what I was basing it on.

I did a method (not sure the name) where I mashed at about 1.3 qt/lb for 55 minutes then added all of my sparge water (169 degrees), stirred and let it sit for 10 minutes then lautered. I read this helps with yielding a maltier beer and helps keep the ph more stable. I usually get about 65% efficiency when I go that route so that's what I was basing it on.

That's traditional American homebrew batch sparging. Most homebrewers that i know of use the English form where the mash is drained and then sparged. I usually double batch sparge English style, sometimes I fly sparge.

So this is my version.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1447023947.366187.jpg

I used wyeast 1335 British Ale II. I fermented at 64 for 24 hours, 66 for 36 hours then free rise to 68 for the remainder.

I'm very, very happy with this beer. My hydrometer broke so I don't have an FG but it's quite dry and crisp so if I had to guess I'd say around 1.008. Nice bready/biscuit flavor and a good amount of chocolate that makes for an awesome combo. Will brew again for sure! Thanks Qhrumph!

Well at 158 w/ 1469 at the lower OG it finishes 1.013 or so. But it's still somewhat dry. 1.008 isn't out of the question, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were 1.010 or so.

Glad you liked it.

You're welcome. Glad you liked it. There's a reason why I brew it a couple times a year :mug:

Would using Willamette hops work as a sub for the EKG?

I like when possible to follow a recipe if I'm going to follow one but I figure as it's a bittering addition only and a similar hop it may not matter much to the flavor.

I've got a bunch of Willamette that I don't seem to use much but am going to be getting some other bits and bobs anyway. 1oz of EKG hops if it's going to be better that's what I'll get.

I would value your expertise and opinion re good/bad/meh idea.

Willamette I'd put closer to Fuggle than EKG, but you're right, it's not really going to make a noticeable difference. I wouldn't go using Chinook or Citra or Galaxy, but any earthy-herbal-spicy-floral noble type or UK hop (or appropriate US sub) would be fine.

I used Fuggle in my Mild. Granted his is probablty better. I get more earth out of EKG than Fugs which would be good here, but I agree that about any UK style hop would be good here. Willamette away.

Ever tried this recipe with Pilsner malt? It's what I have on hand and don't have other plans for it immediately.

EDIT - Not that 4 lbs is going to break me or anything....

Ever tried this recipe with Pilsner malt? It's what I have on hand and don't have other plans for it immediately.

EDIT - Not that 4 lbs is going to break me or anything....

Definitely wont be the same, but no reason it wont be very good still. I get some slight breadiness from pils base that I think might pair well here. I'd up some of the specialty grains to get back some of the maltyness you'er missing.

I personally wouldn't use Pils. Give it a shot if you want, but I find the characters completely different and couldn't really see it playing well in this. Candy-sweet and grainy is what I get from Pils, as opposed to doughy, warm, and biscuity from Maris Otter.

Think I could use us-04 for this? I have several packets I had for spares. Now I want to use them and my 30 lbs of Marris Otter up.

Think I could use us-04 for this? I have several packets I had for spares. Now I want to use them and my 30 lbs of Marris Otter up.
It's what I used. I think it worked well, but I've only done the one batch so I have nothing to compare it to.

S-04 is a lot like 1968. I used 1968 for the very first batch of this (before I began an unhealthy obsession with 1469, which I now use for ALL English beers), and it work fine. It'll attenuate slightly less than 1469 in my experience, so I'd drop the mash temp a degree or two, and keep the fermentation on the cooler side of the range.

Actually S-04 is closer to WY1098 and WLP007.

WY1968 is quite a bit different.

Hmmm...admittedly I haven't used S-04 in a VERY long time, so you might be correct. Thanks for keeping me honest :mug:

However, I recall 1098/007 tasting similar to 1968/002, just attenuating much more. If that's the case, then ignore my comment about the mash temp, leave it where it is.

I just kegged my dark mild based off of this recipe. I substituted some brown malt for part of the extra dark crystal and biscuit, and use regular english chocolate instead of pale. The aroma and fermenter sample are spectacular. 1.039 OG, 1.017 FG, 3% ABV about 19 IBU. Can't wait to have some!

I just kegged my dark mild based off of this recipe. I substituted some brown malt for part of the extra dark crystal and biscuit, and use regular english chocolate instead of pale. The aroma and fermenter sample are spectacular. 1.039 OG, 1.017 FG, 3% ABV about 19 IBU. Can't wait to have some!

I've had a couple of pints of my version now, and it's quite good. Smooth, a little roasty and nutty, goes down easy. It can taste a little bland straight out of the tap - but let it warm up a little and there is a lot of flavor.

Glad you enjoy it.

I'm looking forward to debuting a (slightly higher gravity, aiming for 3.8% instead of 2.8%) rendition of this recipe at 10 bbls. Although a half barrel pilot batch first to prove to my superiors that it'll sell.

It can taste a little bland straight out of the tap - but let it warm up a little and there is a lot of flavor.

This is the money comment, right here.

I brewed my first mild a few years ago and had it on tap (I just got my 1st kegerator and wanted everything on tap).

After a few pulls, I thought the beer was bland, thin, and a little metallic tasting. Very forgetable. So I brewed a session pale ale, put it in the kegerator and pulled out my mild.

The keg of mild ale sat out on the basement floor for the afternoon while I considered what to do with 3 remaining gallons of so-so beer. I had nothing to do that day, so I said "f' it," pulled the pressure release valve, popped off the lid, and poured the beer out of my keg into the widest pint glass I could find.

The wife and I watched a movie on the couch, and I ended up going back to fill up glass a few more times thinking "wow, this really improved!"

Anyways, temperature on a mild has a huge impact on flavor, and even mouthful.

This is the money comment, right here.

I brewed my first mild a few years ago and had it on tap (I just got my 1st kegerator and wanted everything on tap).

After a few pulls, I thought the beer was bland, thin, and a little metallic tasting. Very forgetable. So I brewed a session pale ale, put it in the kegerator and pulled out my mild.

The keg of mild ale sat out on the basement floor for the afternoon while I considered what to do with 3 remaining gallons of so-so beer. I had nothing to do that day, so I said "f' it," pulled the pressure release valve, popped off the lid, and poured the beer out of my keg into the widest pint glass I could find.

The wife and I watched a movie on the couch, and I ended up going back to fill up glass a few more times thinking "wow, this really improved!"

Anyways, temperature on a mild has a huge impact on flavor, and even mouthful.

Absolutely! Being from Great Britain and lovin my cask ales, this style deffo tastes better at 55 F ( 11 deg C) with a slight 'prickle' of fizz on the tongue. Cold and fizzy kills it!

Glad you enjoy it.

I'm looking forward to debuting a (slightly higher gravity, aiming for 3.8% instead of 2.8%) rendition of this recipe at 10 bbls. Although a half barrel pilot batch first to prove to my superiors that it'll sell.

I live near the brewery that makes recent 2x gold GABF winning dark mild - Workman's Compensation. It's about 4.5%, and one of my favorite beers. Your recipe shares a lot of flavors with that beer - if the alcohol is boosted a bit and tastes a bit roastier, it would be very similar, and I bet it would be a hit.

I'm thinking about brewing this soon and I have a question for you experts on the yeast. I try to support my local stores, but none really carry Wyeast. What would you consider a good alternative from White Labs or some other vendor?

Thanks.

Wlp022, wlp023, wlp013. I use the wyeast 1275. Stick to a british strain, one that accenuates malt and produces mild esters.

Back