Grapefruity IPA - help me recip-ize my ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heyjaffy

Reaction score
I have a request to make a grapefruity IPA, and my knowledge of hops and general recipe building is limited so I'm not sure which hops can make that happen, but I think I might have the right ingredients to make this happen. Can you help build a 5-gallon all-grain recipe for an IPA out of the following ingredients on-hand?

Grains:
* many pounds of 2-row
* many pounds of maris otter
* 1lb 3.8 ounces of crystal 20
* 3.3 ounces of crystal 60
* 4.6 ounces of roasted barley

Other:
* 16 ounces maltodextrin

Hops (pellet):
* 4 oz. Galena (13.2% Alpha Acid)
* 3 oz. Columbus (13.3% AA)
* 3 oz. Summit (15.5% AA)
* 3 oz. Nugget (12.4% AA)
* 3 oz. Warrior (16% AA)
* 3 oz. Willamette (4% AA)
* 3 oz. Magnum (13.5% AA)
* 1 oz. Cascade (6.4% AA)
* 1 oz. Centennial (8.7% AA)
* 2 oz. Citra (13.4% AA)

Yeast:
* Harvested WLP001
* Nottingham

Can you get amarillo hops? It's very grapefruity. I've combined simcoe with amarillo to make a beer that has a "grapefruit juice" flavor and aroma that is amazing.

Cascade is citrusy but not really all grapefruit. That's the only hop I see listed that has that quality, but not nearly as much as simcoe/amarillo.

I'd say go with chinook but I see it's not on your list. Citra and cascade would contribute some nice flavors.

Your best bet would probably be all chinook IMO.

I've made some all chinook dry hopped IPAs that were deliciously grapefruity.

I made an all citra pale ale couple months back. I used 2 ounces of citra and dry hopped 1 once. It was EXTREMELY grapefruity. To much for my taste. luckily for me it mellowed out after a few weeks. I made it again with centennial and citra. Its in the primary now so I can't tell you yet how that combination worked out yet.

I know these hops don't scream grapefruit, but I made an APA w/ nugget, brewer's gold and cascade (I realize not true APA, who cares) as late additions and dry hop AND keg hop, and it literally tasted like pure grapefruit juice. It started to taste like beer after a couple of months. Still tasty, just pure grapefruit.

HawksBrewer said:
I know these hops don't scream grapefruit, but I made an APA w/ nugget, brewer's gold and cascade (I realize not true APA, who cares) as late additions and dry hop AND keg hop, and it literally tasted like pure grapefruit juice. It started to taste like beer after a couple of months. Still tasty, just pure grapefruit.

Ya I don't think chinook is supposed to be very grapefruity either but it sure has every time I've brewed all chinook beers. I was fermenting at higher temps then--maybe that had something to do with it.

Ya I don't think chinook is supposed to be very grapefruity either but it sure has every time I've brewed all chinook beers. I was fermenting at higher temps then--maybe that had something to do with it.

Ferm temps had little to do with my all Chinook ipa consisting of only Chinook with only dme and us05 fermented at 64ish or so. Chinook is a slept on hop as far as grapefruit citrusy character. I was blown away at the hop character from that single hop.

Check out the Fresh Squeezed IPA recipe on here. Everyone loves it and my friends can't believe I don't add fruit to it. I always have a batch going.

I just did an IIPA with Chinook, Amarillo, Centennial, and Cascade. I had my wife smell it and she said it smelled like grapefruit/oranges.

Amarillo is what you need for a grapefruity beer. You can compliment with Simcoe if you want but Amarillo is a must.

Back