Spring Water vs Distilled Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BroStro3

Reaction score
I'm brewing my first batch of beer (extract kit) this weekend and want to use either spring or distilled water. Are there any differences between the two when it comes to Home Brewing? If so, would you recommend using one over the other?

Too be honest, I don't know of any differences, but I've been using spring water since I've started getting serious about brewing and have had no problems.

FYI: Spring water is generally used for re-hydration, cooking, and beverage making. It may be more expensive than other forms of bottled water, but the taste of natural spring water is said to be superior to standard tap or drinking water, which may be distilled water enhanced with minerals. Spring water is rarely used in household applications such as steaming or sanitizing because the natural minerals are not removed during the bottling process. Spring water has simply been extracted from an underground source which has not reached the surface before bottling takes place.
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-difference-between-distilled-water-and-spring-water.htm

By brewing an Extract kit , you can use distilled water , since the Extract itself brings all the Minerals you need for brewing .

You can also use spring water , but you should take care of bicarbonates , since high levels of bicarbonates lead to

harsh after tastes in the Beer which is brewed with Extract .

Hector

By brewing an Extract kit , you can use distilled water , since the Extract itself brings all the Minerals you need for brewing .

It's only really when you go all grain or partial mash that you need to worry about mineral content in the water, and usually as long as the water tastes good you're probably alright.

I brew all-grain. With distilled water. It allows me to make my water whatever I want. Calcium is really the only mineral that isn't sufficiently present in the grain, so for almost all beers I add a bit of calcium chloride to the water, which I'd probably do for taste reasons anyways, and really costs next to nothing per batch.

I used distilled water in my pm pale ale,& it tastes & smells great. Spring water in my extract recipies tasted a bit better than tap water to me. It seems to me it was mentioned some time ago that the yeast need some minerals to do a better job?...

I've only used distilled but will be using spring on my next batch just to change it up a bit.

I guess the only true way to know which is better is brew 2 of the same beers and see which one tastes better if you can even tell a difference.

That's pretty much what I did. Two pale ales,one with tap water & the other with spring water. Spring water won.

So I have been buying the gallon jugs labled "Drinking Water"; so is that ok or should I do the spring water for my 1 gal batches? Not much difference in price really.

I've used my tap water, a friend's tap water, distilled water, and just now spring water.

The distilled water was an extract and it came out great. My friend's tap water gives us some good results. My tap water has been giving me off flavors which is why I just brewed with spring water. I made an IPA so I used some gypsum to add calcium and bring out the hop flavor and aroma.

I say for extract go distilled. For AG if your tap water isn't good go with spring and add calcium.

I'm not sure what drinking water means. If it is spring water it will say it. I believe all types of water have rules and regulations it follows to be labeled as such so if it was spring water it would want to show it on the bottle. Drinking water could be someone's tap water that has been filtered. I would look for spring water on the bottle.

Drinking water is just filtered. Spring water has some little natural minerals in it,but doesn't taste like it. Not to be confused with well (ie ground water),spring water comes from pockets in the bedrock like natural gas or oil.

Drinking water is just filtered. Spring water has some little natural minerals in it,but doesn't taste like it. Not to be confused with well (ie ground water),spring water comes from pockets in the bedrock like natural gas or oil.

That is what I figured. Drinking water is over priced filtered tap water.

My new water will be spring for AG and a calcium addition during the mash.

I have always just used tap water and my beer comes out great. I guess we have good tap water. A lot of microbreweries and brewpubs in our area. I doubt they use bottled water to make 200 gallon + batches of beer. They may filter the water but that would be all.

Tap water around here works pretty good in cooler weather. But spring water is noticably better all around in my extract brews. I used distilled water in my pm ale & it worked fine. I'm not sure if I should try spring water in my next partial mash next week though?...

I use RO water for all my brewing now.
For all extract I add nothing.
For my all grains I use 1 teaspoon of Calcium Chloride and 1 teaspoon of Gypsum for each 5 gallons of water.

Simple and I get the consistancy I want.

bosco

I have started using water in my PM brews, and have noticed a considerable difference. We have a noticeable chlorine taste to our tap water, and that was giving my beer a definite taste, as I was using after the boil for top off water. Also, I have only bought both Publix and Kroger store brand spring water and have had no issues. The Kroger brand spring source is even located in my state.

It's worth the extra $5 I spend on 7 gallons of water to get a better brew, IMO.

Water chemistry can play a big role in beer - and contributed to defining why some styles of beer originated/gained fame in various regions. Distilled or reverse osmosis water is just water - most, if not all, salts are removed. Spring water may have considerably different salt/mineral content, depending on the source. These may (or may not) have significant impact on your beer. I understand that Brewers Publications http://members.brewersassociation.org/store/Default.aspx will be publishing a book on water early next year (which will be a nice companion to their recently published books on yeast and hops).

24 posts until somebody points out the obvious that YOU DON'T KNOW THE MINERAL CONTENT of spring water or drinking water. Either might be fine for extract, but for all-grain you're introducing a big unknown that can severely hurt your beer quality. Moreover, if your beer has problems, you'll have no idea if the water was the culprit since you have no idea what's in the water.

SpeedYellow said:
24 posts until somebody points out the obvious that YOU DON'T KNOW THE MINERAL CONTENT of spring water or drinking water. Either might be fine for extract, but for all-grain you're introducing a big unknown that can severely hurt your beer quality. Moreover, if your beer has problems, you'll have no idea if the water was the culprit since you have no idea what's in the water.

I don't know about the US, but the mineral content of bottled water in Canada is printed on every bottle.

You have to remember that spring water comes from pockets in the bedrock. Well water is just ground water,& those labeled "drinking water" is just filtered tap water. Giant Eagle brand spring water also comes from here in Ohio,maybe the same company Krogers gets theirs from. It's been great for many different extract ales so far. I used it last Saturday on my 2nd partial mash,& the airlock smells have been outstanding between the marris otter & crystal 20L. The smells have been crisp & malty/brasdy/slightly toasty. Seems like it worked just fine so far. Others on here insisted to me that spring water was ok for pm too,so I gave it shot. My previous experiences with it were quite good.

You have to remember that spring water comes from pockets in the bedrock. Well water is just ground water,& those labeled "drinking water" is just filtered tap water.

Sorry, but no. Our well water comes from the bedrock under our property - so does that make it spring water? No. Spring water is water that originally, at some point, found its way to the surface (through a 'spring'). It may be from bedrock, or surface water that has found its way under soil/sand, etc...

I'm assuming by tap water you mean a municipal water source. Tap water could be spring water, well water, or surface water (i.e., from a reservoir or river) depending on the municipality you live in.

Regardless, all of these sources of water can have varying levels of mineral content, which may affect your beer. I understand you can often find out the mineral content of municipal water by contacting your municipal water department. I live in the country, and have well water, so I sent a sample to Ward Labs (www.wardlab.com) to get it analyzed...

A natural spring,yes. But spring water all comes from bedrock regarless of whether it's found & drilled or comes out to the surface on it's own.

I've used spring water for my last couple of all grain brews. I'm still a a beginner, but they seem to have turned out fine. I got the water report for the particular spring water I bought off their web page and then used a water calculator to adjust the water as needed. What I'm wondering, though, is how accurate the water report is. They only update it once a year. I'm wondering if it might be better to start with RO water that has essentially no salts and then add required minerals to that. Wouldn't that yield a more controlled water chemistry?

Yes it would,once you learn what to add. I found out recently that I can get local spring water at either Cherry Knoll or Artisian Springs for 10c per gallon vs 79c per in the store. That'll save a few bucks more per batch. I used it in two beers I'm currently fermenting that are both partial mash. The smells & activity have been great with the WL029 yeast.

Yes, maybe so but with extract it really doesn't matter. If you don't have a good inexpensive source for spring water, then reverse osmosis water or distilled water would be fine.
How is it that extract has enough minerals? I know an extract brewer that only uses distilled and his beer is consistently better, without an sour tang, that I taste in other home brew in my area as well as mine . It seems that distilled maybe better than filtered if the filtered is veg high in calcium or other things ?

Yes, maybe so but with extract it really doesn't matter. If you don't have a good inexpensive source for spring water, then reverse osmosis water or distilled water would be fine.
How is it extract brewing has minerals? A friend who only uses distilled water in extract seems to make the most consistent beer without a sour / tangy after taste a lot of other extract brews in my area seem to have.

A friend who only uses distilled water in extract seems to make the most consistent beer without a sour / tangy after taste a lot of other extract brews in my area seem to have.

Assuming the other extract brewers are using proper sanitation techniques (avoids 'sour') and fresh extract (avoids 'tangy' / ' twangy'), ...

... what do you know about the consistency and mineral content of the tap water?

How is it extract brewing has minerals?
The producer of the extract uses vacuum evaporation to remove just the water, leaving the minerals in the wort behind.

Since they removed "just the water", it makes sense to add back "just the water".

In How to Brew 4e, there is an idea that one can use "low mineral" water as well as distilled or RO water. The book does suggests upper limits (in ppm) for the various values. Many brands of spring water (and many brewers tap water) are likely to be "low mineral water".

Agree, all the minerals were add during the mash for the production of the extract, adding back RO water or Distilled water is best for extract based brewing. Using spring water will work but, it has a mineral content that could affect the final product.

Vinny D

Back