Double IPA with no starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fillmoreslim

Reaction score
I brewed my first 2 batches the weekend before last, the American Ale and Rogue I2PA from MoreBeer. They gave me a vial of white labs California yeast for each batch.

Since I started reading this forum I've heard you need to use starters for liquid yeast with high gravity beers. I'm worried that my IPA is not going to fully ferment.

Should I be concerned? Is there anything I can or need to do about it at this point? I brewed on the 12th so they've been fermenting for 12 days at this point.

Thanks for any advice, this is a great forum :mug:

I also brewed a double IPA this past weekend fermentation is going pretty crazy still i didnt use a starter but did add some yeast nutrients...hopefully all works out ok

yeah mine fermented, I had about an inch of krausen but it wasn't blowing out the top of the carboy or anything. good luck with your as well.

Should I be concerned? Is there anything I can or need to do about it at this point? I brewed on the 12th so they've been fermenting for 12 days at this point.

Thanks for any advice, this is a great forum :mug:

Concerned - yes, Worried - no
Nothing to be done at this point.

In the past before I knew of starters I made good beer with liquid. You can make better beer with a starter.

I've made the I2PA many times and the hops in that will cover up any minor defects you might get from underpitching.

What was your OG?

You probably under pitched a bit. Take note of your final gravity and what it tastes like when it is finished. Brew the same beer as soon as you can but pitch the proper amount of yeast this time, and if you can tastes them side by side. You might notice that the first beer tasted a little solventy/alcoholic, and the second this might be lessened.

Thanks for the replies, not positive what my OG was off the top of my head, it's written down at home. I remember it was less that what it was supposed to be. I think the expected OG was like 1.075-1.080 and I had like 1.067 at 75deg which I think means like 1.069 corrected.

I like the idea of brewing another batch to taste test but I think I want to do a porter and an imperial red ale next.

Should I just go with a dry yeast next time? Seems like it would be easier.

Thanks for the replies, not positive what my OG was off the top of my head, it's written down at home. I remember it was less that what it was supposed to be. I think the expected OG was like 1.075-1.080 and I had like 1.067 at 75deg which I think means like 1.069 corrected.

I like the idea of brewing another batch to taste test but I think I want to do a porter and an imperial red ale next.

Should I just go with a dry yeast next time? Seems like it would be easier.

You did not underpitch by that much at that OG. The first thing the yeast will do when tossed into sweet sticky wort is commence to throw a big yeastie beastie orgy :ban:. They will multiply until there are enough to do the job. It is during this reproduction period that a lot of esters and off flavors are produced. That is why you want to pitch the proper amount of yeast...to get a clean fermentation, not because there won't be enough yeast to ferment your wort. BUt the earlier poster is right, the big hops profile will cover a lot of flaws. So will allowing the yeast time to clean up after themselves by leaving the beer in the primary for 3-4 weeks.

As far as liquid vs. dry goes, that is a personal preference and a comfort zone thing. Learning to make a starter is easy, beneficial to your beer, and opens up a far greater diversity of yeast options. If you don't feel like messing with it at this stage, then go with dry. Safale US-05 is the Chico strain of saccharomyces cerevisiae, the same as Wyeast 1056 and WLP 01 (I believe...pullin this outta my, er hat :D). Many have reported that they can't tell any difference between dry and liquid versions of this strain.

I've never had a problem with high gravity beers and I have never used a starter. You'll be fine.

Not saying it will be a "problem," am saying it WILL produce more esters as the yeast reproduce in order to attack a big beer. If you want a cleaner ferment, pitch more yeast. This is not opinion but tried and true brewing knowledge.

You will make beer with no starter. It will probably be GOOD beer with no starter. It will be BETTER beer WITH a starter...and aren't we all here because we want to make better beer? :mug:

Back