5/8 OD Soft Copper, what should I do with it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milldoggy

Reaction score
I picked up 20 ft of 5/8 od soft copper from ebay for 20 bucks. I was thinking about using it for pickup tubes, but I may just use rigid copper instead. Should I straighten it, run 3/8 copper in it and make a CFC? I already have ~25 ft of 3/8 from an old IC. I was also thinking about getting a large hose and running the 5/8 inside it and have a 1/2 ID CFC. Any other thoughts?

was going to use the 3/8 for herms, from what I read, the 5/8 is overkill. I have 50 ft of 1/2 copper also, was going to install that as an IC for a test and move it to a herms coil if I did not like the built in IC.

I figured 5/8ths wouldn't hurt for a 10g system. Dual kettles, using the coil for mash temps and then as a chiller with ice water pumping through. Then when I step up to using 55 gal kettles maybe I can still use the 5/8th coil with the old kettle as an HLT to maintain mash temps? That's my current thought process anyway.

Latest posts

Back