Newbie Frustrated Needs Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopin-Josh

Reaction score
Hi all -

I was wondering if I could get some guidance. I recently purchased a can from a company called Edme that was an English IPA that read, "Comprehensivie Instructions Enclosed." So I used a can opener and opened the can honestly expecting to find the necessary malt, hops, instructions etc. Instead all I found was what appears to be a can of liquid malt. To make this even more confusing to me is the fact that the label says, "Ingredients: malted barley water hop extract and brewers yeast." Which I would think that if the malt contains brewers yeast and hops then I would have beer already right?!?!?! One other part of the label says, "Recommended fermentables for this kit amber unhoppped extract or light dried extract." So at this point I kinda completely lost and see no trace of the instructions.

Also this is my second go round. My first attempt was with one of those super cheap Lake Valley Farms kits with inactive yeast and stale hops and liquid malt that seems more like a crystal that anything else...

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thank you!
-Josh

Thanks FatDuc that is exactly what happend. I went back to my brew store and got the instructions and yeast that was supposed to come with it.

My next question is, I don't see anywhere in the instructions where it specifies an amount of sugar for the bottling process. Should I use the same amount at the primary fermentation? 1 KG?

Thanks again for your help!

My next question is, I don't see anywhere in the instructions where it specifies an amount of sugar for the bottling process. Should I use the same amount at the primary fermentation? 1 KG?

Standard carbonation generally calls for 1 oz of corn sugar per gallon of beer. If using table sugar reduce by about 10-15%. Too much sugar at bottling and you'll have exploding bottles :eek:

Nooooo. You only use like 1/2 -3/4 cup of corn sugar for bottling.......unless you want exploding bottles, that is. You will need to go back to your brew shop for the corn sugar, or you can use regular sugar too but I think you need a touch more if you go that route.....the nice thing about corn sugar is that it's 100% fermentable, so it leaves zero flavor contribution.......

Snail, you are talking about cups and ifish is talking about ounces. very different

go by weight if possible, it is much more accurate. approx. 1oz corn sugar per gallon is fairly standard depending on the type of beer.

Also, go back to the store and get a packet or two of Us-05 dry yeast to use. The yeast packet that came with the kit is probably useless and will leave you very disappointed.

Is it a 3.3 pound batch of malt? Do this...

Use the malt extract from the can along with 3 pounds of light dried malt extract and use the us-05 yeast and you will have a nice drinkable beer.

My 2 cents

Also, go back to the store and get a packet or two of Us-05 dry yeast to use. The yeast packet that came with the kit is probably useless and will leave you very disappointed.

Is it a 3.3 pound batch of malt? Do this...

Use the malt extract from the can along with 3 pounds of light dried malt extract and use the us-05 yeast and you will have a nice drinkable beer.

My 2 cents

+1 to US-05, good universal yeast.

Josh,

You didn't specify where you're from, but I would recommend looking for either a brew club near you, or find another home brewer that would be willing to show you how to brew. Everyone has their own techniques, so watch what they do, read this forum, and choose your own technique. When you're just starting, it really helps to see someone in action. Kits are a great way to start, but they can lead to disappointment.

Wow! Sounds like I was averting disaster with that much sugar...

Thanks for all the advice guys. Yes it was a 3.3 lb can.

I am located in metro Detroit. I am just trying to take beer enjoyment to the next level and hopefully save a few bucks in the process. $10 bucks (or more) a six pack is getting a little old.

What would guys think about trying to up the hop content? I believe it's called dry hopping?

Thanks again!
-Josh

You might want to buy another can. 3.3 lbs isn't very much, and you'll have a very low alcohol beer. Dry hopping with that amount of LME may be overkill. Also, dry hopping will give you a good hop aroma, but not much in the way of taste.

I'd recommend that you follow the recipe for your first batch to get the technique down. After a few batches, then try experimenting.

Brewing your own beer is fun, as well as a way to save money on beer, but when you start getting into the hobby, you'll find that you spend more buying equipment.

Well, Detroit has plenty of Beer Supply stores nearby and lots of good beer to be had. You are def on the way to making good beer.

I highly recommend reading howtobrew.com for more info on brewing beer. It goes from extract brewing (like you are doing) to the science of using All Grains. Please do yourself a favor and buy some Dry Malt Extract, or another can of that stuff and use it instead of sugar. Yes, their instructions are meant to get you a batch of cheap beer, but it won't be as good as a full-bodied, flavorful beer that you will get by doubling the malt.

Also, there are lots of other brewers in the D area. Maybe look one of them up on this site and see if they are going to be brewing soon? Lots of us here are very willing to share the hobby with others (who knows, you might get a free beer or two out of the deal!)

Read up in the Extract brewing forum here, as well as the beginner forums. Both are great sources of information on brewing extract and starting out.

Latest posts

Back