Issue using StarSan Mix in Airlock//couple of queries!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RBK

Reaction score
Howdy,

At the advice of one of the guys at the local brew store, I put a small amount of StarSan along with water in my airlock (s-bend type)...

Once fermentation started (a rather vigorous initial fermentation)... the starsan and water mixer completely bubbled out of the airlock the airlock empty! This happened twice whilst I was out and about and may have been empty both time for 4-5 hours at a time... could this cause "oxidization"?? Or would the pressure from the CO2 prevent oxygen from getting in at this point?

I have since re-filled the airlock with just water, and it's behaving fine.

Is it really necessary to have sanitizer in the airlock as above, could I use another sanitizer for these purposes, or vodka or some such? Or is this all overkill and water is just fine?

Cheers

~R

It's highly unlikely your beer will be oxygenated from this;there's too much CO2 coming out. Put some Star San back in there with the water - it's best not to take a chance on something so minor.

I stopped using starsan in the airlock some time ago. As it bubbles,the starsan foams up & out. I started using cheap vodka in my airlocks after seeing Gary do it on home brewer tv. Anything that gets in it dies of alcohol poisoning. And it doesn't evaporate that fast either.

Cheers guys. The only spirits I have on hand are Lagavulin and a Spiced Rum! haha...

Maybe just a smaller amount of StarSan for same amount of water?

I should I just put it a teaspoon of spiced rum? ha

Cheers guys. The only spirits I have on hand are Lagavulin and a Spiced Rum! haha...

Maybe just a smaller amount of StarSan for same amount of water?

I should I just put it a teaspoon of spiced rum? ha

Not sure how often you brew, but buying a bottle of really cheap vodka is.... really cheap. I buy the 1.75 liter plastic bottles of industrial grade vodka, and they last forever.

Agreed with the others on the vodka, I've been using it for years (I think the same bottle...). But as to your immediate concern, if you're blowing off enough gas to blast out the Star San, you won't be getting an appreciable amount of oxygen going back the other way. But make sure you check it regularly and keep replacing it. Ultimately you do need to have that blocked off, especially when the active fermentation stops.

Yeh I'm about to go away for a week.

So I'll wack in some spiced rum and she should be sweetas!!

Thanks for all the prompt and helpful feedback!

Back