Johnson 2 Stage Controller Wiring. Help making sense?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeMama

Reaction score
Hello, I just picked up a dual stage Johnson controller to hook up to my fridge for ferm temp control. It is an A28 series (not the typical A19) that is often seen here. Im sure its just 'not clicking' in my head as to how to wire this thing with an extension cord. And here is the user manual that shows HOW to wire it, but for some odd reason it doesnt 'click' just yet... Can someone please shed some insight and put it into dummy terms?

What I have gathered so far from other threads/sorta logic -
Hot wire from the plug (wall) goes to 1st (Left Bottom) Red (Which is already jumped)
Ground is connected via wirenut to itself
White (or cold I guess) goes from (wall and fridge) goes to yellow (top right)
Hot wire return to fridge goes to other yellow (top left)
Does this sound about right?

I would so appreciate it!
Thanks
-Me
a28_pb_0988
(This is a link to the diagram of the unit)

Not sure without seeing the diagram but the power wire is the only one you should be breaking through the control. The neutral (white) wire and the ground (green) wire can get wired directly to the fridge.

Not sure without seeing the diagram but the power wire is the only one you should be breaking through the control. The neutral (white) wire and the ground (green) wire can get wired directly to the fridge.

The link I provided is the diagram that came with the unit. I believe its like on page 4
-Me

I hope this makes sense..

plug black to bottom switch
top switch to freezer black
plug white jumped to freezer white
ground jumped to ground

Sorry I didn't see the link for the diagram. Wire the power wire from the outlet to R and the power wire from the fridge to Y.

LOL You guys rule. That was the solution!

I took it to my buddy today and he got it all hooked up! (Im excited BTW)

He initially had it backwards, but your config is what he ended up doing to get it a working.
Thanks again for everyones help!
-Me

Back