Starch test

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob869007

Mmmmm Beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have watched Kaisers video and I have read Papazian and Palmer. I still have zero idea on how to do a proper starch test. Kaiser said that when the conversion is complete you would see a deep purple color. Papazian said that the iodine tincture would not change color. I am confused and need some amplifying information. What am I missing here? Using Iodine Tincture what exactly will I see when a fully converted mash has completed? Thanks.

Bob

Get a small plate and add some of your wort. Then add a few drops of Iodine to the wort and slosh it around a bit. If the Iodine stays the same brwon color then you have conversion. If the Iodine turns purple or a black color then the Iodine has reacted with starch, not sugar. Purple or Black color ....Bad.....If it stays the same...Good

Don't bother. It's so easy to screw up a a starch test and get false readings that I find it useless. Plus, it's unnecessary....mash for 60 min. at a temp from 145-160F and you WILL get conversion.

Back