Finings - An accident

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbo

Reaction score
Hi guy's,

I'm new to the board here, but have been brewing for about the last 3 years quite consistanly.

I have a question though, I have recently tried some finings, BUT you would never believe it, I accidently put the finings in before the yeast. I realised this after I had put them in, so I put in the yeast and stired it all around like normal.

I have left it sitting for about 8-9 days and noticed no bubbling effects at all, but I have noticed the grime etc.. around the top and it smells like it's working.

The question is: do you guy's think I have stuffed up that beer? Should I even attempt to bottle it or just wash it down the drain and start again?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Robbo

homebrewer_99 said:
Seriously, take a sample and gravity reading. After the reading drink it to find out if it tastes OK.

Bingo... If it tastes sweet repitch yeast, if it tastes sour or otherwise nasty, consider chunking it, if it tastes like beer, bottle it.

Thanks heaps guy's,
Did'nt have time last night, will bottle it hopefully tonight, if it's alright. :)

Will let ya know how it all goes...

Great site by the way!

Cheers,
Robbo

Back