Agave Nectar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm going to start experimenting with agave nectar and i'd like to add it to beersmith so i can use it to write recipes. how should i go about figuring its potential SG? my thought would be to simply add 1/4 lb of agave to a quart of water and measure the SG. is this going to tell me everything i need to know as far as potential is concerned?

I think it should work, it's not like grain where you can extract a certain amount of sugar and there is an efficiency. It's just like using malt extract, you get 100% efficiency.

Nice work! When I think agave, I think tequilla, and I'm not a big fan of tequilla. What are you going to use the syrup for?

well, the recipe i have worked up in beersmith is basically a dark pale ale (yeah, i know!) its 8 lbs 2row pale, 1 lb brumalt, .5 lb amber, .5 crystal 40, and 1 lb of the agave. actually what i'm doing is trying to build a recipe around a great name i came up with for a beer. it's called Donkey Show Juarez Ale. again, i know, not the best way to write a recipe, but i'm really just screwing around with grain i have on hand. it's going to be pretty hoppy, and my plan is to really go at it with late hopping. the other direction i was thinking of going was using a dunkelweizen as a base recipe. if the agave adds a nice interesting flavor then the dunkel might be a better vehicle to let that flavor shine. i'll certainly keep the board up to date.

sorry to bring back a WAY old thread, but just wanted to make sure on this as i'm adding this to beersmith...

you'd list as a sugar right?
also, what would you enter in the "dry yield fine grain" field?

thanks for the info!!

I was thinking of adding Agave Nectar to my Blonde Ale that I'm doing Saturday. I figured I could just add it to the boil at flameout, pretty much just to boost the ABV, but also for a possible aroma... Thoughts?

Back