No carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxbing

Reaction score
I have my first batch in bottles. It was a true brew kit. I followed the dorections in the kit and bottled after only one week, ( I know better now). It has been in the bottles for just over 3 weeks. I opened one last night and there was no pressure release. The beer was nice and clear (for a porter) but there was almost no carbonation. It was not totally flat. Other than it tasted fine. I must admin that I forgot to put the primig sugar in the bottom of the bottleing bucket so a disolived it in some water and added it to the top and gave it a light stir.

Any Ideas

What temp are you storing them? Even a couple degrees below 70 can drag out the time it takes to carb up....Also I have had porters and stouts take 6 or more weeks to carb up fully.

Roll them back and forth on a table to re-suspend the yeast, then make sure your storage area is above 70 and stick them away for a couple more weeks.

More than likely if you stirred the priming solution up in the bottling bucket, then you integrated it enough...

I thought that temp might have to do with it. They are in the basment and at night it get down to 65 somtimes. I will brig a few upstairs for a week or two.

Thanks
Scott

Yeah that's probably the issue, I live in a loft to keep my temps above during the winter would cost me waaay too much. So my beer is now taking forever to carb. I use a space heater sometimes, or just cover the boxes with insulating blankets to try to raise the temps a bit.

I've primed with just sugar and it took longer to carbonate than with a boiled syrup. I want to try some carbonation tabs for my excess when racking to secondary sometime. I wonder if it works better? Anyway I think boiling helps break down sugar so the yeast can eat them up easier/quicker.

Back