Storing unmilled grain in a hot garage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew hoperator

Reaction score
I live in Florida and right now it is really hot and humid, I want to get a mill and buy in bulk but my problem is the garage is the only place I have to store the grains. If I use air tight containers and store them in the garage, will the heat and humidity damage the grains?

I live in Florida and right now it is really hot and humid, I want to get a mill and buy in bulk but my problem is the garage is the only place I have to store the grains. If I use air tight containers and store them in the garage, will the heat and humidity damage the grains?

Yes.

Store in a cool, dry place.
Do you have a basement?

Your grains won't last too long in high humidity, your best bet might be getting yourself a foodsaver (or other vacuum packager) and make up pre-measured packages. My understanding of foodsaver bags is that they can be used multiple times so you wouldn't have to make the portions too small and just reseal the bag after removing some.

Heat is not a problem as long as it is dry. I've made fine beers with year old malt kept in my garage, but kept dry in food saver bags.

Heat is not a problem as long as it is dry. I've made fine beers with year old malt kept in my garage, but kept dry in food saver bags.

Like that crap you sent me;) ;)

Yeah Pitt, I'm south of you here in Florida and my grain stays well in foodsaver bags. Are you from the "Burgh" or just a student. 20miles south myself. I do miss the hills

Like that crap you sent me;) ;)

Yeah Pitt, I'm south of you here in Florida and my grain stays well in foodsaver bags. Are you from the "Burgh" or just a student. 20miles south myself. I do miss the hills

I was a student but worked there for one year after graduating. I miss the hills and the burgh as well. If it wasn't for the weather I would move back in a second, good people and die hard sports fans.

My Maris Otter is in the garage in a tote but I'm going through it so fast it won't be there more than a few months before it's time to buy another bag. In FL I'd worry about the humidity...

Get a chest freezer off craigslist for cheap and use a temp controller, you can store grain and age beer. :D

Do you have a basement?
Best question from ppl who don't live in FL. :D As jacksonvillebrew, basements are not an option! :(

Some guys mentioned to keep the grain in food savor bags in the garage. I am still a little bit concerned when thinking about that option. I'm sure Ed has in TX less problems with the humitity than the FL folks. But still ... I actually might try that. Never really thought about the food savor bags.

Back