How long will a Corny stay "fresh"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cakehole

Reaction score
Long-time lurker, first post.

I am currently deployed with the AF in a hot sandy location so the best I can do is read the forums.

I have decided to jump back in to brewing with both feet. I plan to get a 3 carboy system ( I want to be able to have 2 batches in secondaries within 7-10 days of each other ) and also plan to skip the whole bottling thing and go straight to kegs.

I plan on having 4 Cornies in a rotation to start off with, and depending on what I can find for fridge/freezer, adding a few more kegs to allow for longer maturation times before I tap and drink. I also have a young son that likes Root Beer, so I will probably need to add a RB tap and keg for him to whatever I use for the beer.

I enjoy a good beer, but the main thing that worries me is my HB will go stale in the keg after I tap into it as there will only be me consuming the goodness. ( no SWMBO for now )

I figure I probably drink about 2 or 3 pints of beer a day on the average, some days more, and some days a lot less.

Do you folks think I will have issues with stale, nasty beer because I don't drink it all that fast?

On another note, I really appreciate all of you folks out there that take the time to help everybody else out. From what I have read here, this is a very supportive community. I should return to Albuquerque mid-summer and will begin brewing shortly thereafter. I hope to learn until then and hit the ground brewing when I get home.

Dennis

dcahill110 said:
Long-time lurker, first post.

I am currently deployed with the AF in a hot sandy location so the best I can do is read the forums.

I have decided to jump back in to brewing with both feet. I plan to get a 3 carboy system ( I want to be able to have 2 batches in secondaries within 7-10 days of each other ) and also plan to skip the whole bottling thing and go straight to kegs.

I plan on having 4 Cornies in a rotation to start off with, and depending on what I can find for fridge/freezer, adding a few more kegs to allow for longer maturation times before I tap and drink. I also have a young son that likes Root Beer, so I will probably need to add a RB tap and keg for him to whatever I use for the beer.

I enjoy a good beer, but the main thing that worries me is my HB will go stale in the keg after I tap into it as there will only be me consuming the goodness. ( no SWMBO for now )

I figure I probably drink about 2 or 3 pints of beer a day on the average, some days more, and some days a lot less.

Do you folks think I will have issues with stale, nasty beer because I don't drink it all that fast?

On another note, I really appreciate all of you folks out there that take the time to help everybody else out. From what I have read here, this is a very supportive community. I should return to Albuquerque mid-summer and will begin brewing shortly thereafter. I hope to learn until then and hit the ground brewing when I get home.

Dennis

I think from my experience you are very close if not the same as what is in the bottle. The only major effect I notice over long periods of time is loss in hop aroma. I have a 4 tap system and I only have maybe 1 beer at most on week nights and several on weekends with friends. My kegs do not go very fast for this reason. I usually find they need several weeks to mature as it is and still get better for the first 2 to 3 months. Unless u think it will be 6 to 12 months before u finish I forsee only better beer as it gets older. U can always dry hop in keg to keep the aroma longer..I do this and love it. I have several beers made over 6 months ago that still taste very fresh and better than what I buy.

J

I'm in the same boat...lots of beer, few people to drink it. My kegs average 2-3 months before they get tapped out. Usually it's just me and one or two neighbors enjoy the tasty beverages I make, so they tend to last a while. One advantage is the way the beer mellows as it ages (I have paitience issues and usually keg sooner that I should!!).

I've got a brown that went weird (sour) after 17 months. Currently on tap, I have a 12 month old 3CPA, a six month old porter and a blond about the same age.

david_42 said:
I've got a brown that went weird (sour) after 17 months. Currently on tap, I have a 12 month old 3CPA, a six month old porter and a blond about the same age.

I wish my Blonde would last that long!! Whenever I have the Blonde on tap, if I leave the garage open and unattended, it's easy to find my neighbor - in front of the kegerator!!!!!:drunk:

I believe that beer going stale will be the least of your worries.

Running out on the otherhand.......:tank:

+1 what Ed and everyone else has said, if kept cold and under pressure by CO2/Beergas it will be good for a long time. You may even find it becomes MUCH better with a little age:D I believe what you are thinking of as "stale" beer is beer pushed with those hand pump taps at keggers. Those push O2 into the keg, oxidizing and ruining the beer. Keep O2 away from your beer and you shouldn't have any problems.

OK, good to know that "stale" beer will not be a problem.

I am quickly beginning to realize that I just might need a bigger house. I see ideas here for stuff I want. 7 tap keezer for one!!

Too bad I have a few more months in the sand before I can even begin brewing...

dcahill110 said:
Too bad I have a few more months in the sand before I can even begin brewing...

Plenty of time to design yourself a nice little AG setup, kegerator, fermentation chiller, lagerator, CFC, ad infinitum.....:D

Just keep your head down over there... just lost a good friend to Sunday's green zone attack.

Come home and tell us about your first batch.

Eric

I am nowhere near the Green Zone, in a very safe place actually. But here for 10 months so I guess I traded a short time in a dangerous place for a long time on a hot, windy, dull place.

But, like a few of you have suggested, more time to plan, design, and shop for the eventual move to AG. I guess I will try to get 3 or four batches in the kegs, find a local club, and then move to AG.

Anybody familiar with a club or group of brewers in Albuquerque?

dcahill110 said:
I am nowhere near the Green Zone, in a very safe place actually. But here for 10 months so I guess I traded a short time in a dangerous place for a long time on a hot, windy, dull place.

Either way, it's not home. Git 'er done and get home.

The only trouble I've faced with beer sitting in the keg too long was the Spiced Christmas Ale I'd made last October. The beer itself didn't go bad - it was frankly awful to start and aging only made it worse. But since nobody drank it much, the tap didn't get used, and in January when I went to see if it had matured, the tap was stuck so much I snapped one of those cheap black plastic tap handles.

I've since started switching to those fantastic Ventmatic taps, longer stronger handles, and WAY less spice. All of those decisions have proved wise.

I too had thought that my 1 to 10 pints a day....I mean 1 to 2. Haaa. I thought that it will stale too. But to my dismay, I finished off a beer in 2 weeks. I brewed on 3/5, did a 4 day primary and a 10 day secondary and straight to keg, so in less than 2 weeks I drank 5 gallons of beer. I know, I ckecked the ground all around the fridge for spilled beer. Notin', just an empty keg. Or was I happy, I get to brew another batch...

Latest posts

Back