Liquid yeast question....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

431brew

Reaction score
I made my first 2.5 gals of Apfelwein over the weekend and used Wyeast 3068. This was also my first time using a liquid yeast. Within an hour it was on the bottom of the carboy. I gave it a shake and got it mixed again. It is at the bottom again. I am getting a bubble in the airlock every 5 seconds, so there is some action.

Should I shake it again, or is this normal for liquid yeast to sit on the bottom? Or could this be the sugar on the bottom? Maybe I need to shake it again?

Thanks for helping this noob...

First...Don't worry. Yeast goes to the bottom sometimes.
Second. See the sticky at
orfy said:
Don't worry if your brew takes up to 3 days to start fermenting.
Especially if you used liquid yeast and didn't make a big starter and oxygenate.
It is also worth noting that no bubbles in the air lock does not mean it isn't fermenting.

If at 3 days nothing seems to of happened then take a gravity reading to make sure you haven't missed the fermentation.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=43614
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=43635
about how long it can take for fermentation to start.
I'm sure that within the next day or so, you'll be going strong.

Thanks, BigKahuna.

After reading those stickies, I am thinking that maybe I didn't oxygenate very well before I put the carboy in the closet. I shook it a few times and then shook it again about an hour later. I was making beer at the same time and not good at multi-tasking!

I am getting a bubble about every 4 seconds. I noticed tonight that it looks like I have moisture (condensation?) on the inside of the bottle near the top. Not sure what that is about.

Lot of "firsts" in this one: first AW, first time with liquid yeast, and first time in a glass carboy! The glass may be the scariest part because I see everything! I have been using a bucket with my beer.

I am 72 hours into it with a room temperature of 68-70. I will give it another day or two and tell you what is happening then.

Latest posts

Back