Gas Stovetop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankinla

Reaction score
I've heard that most people go with a propane burner, but I'm wondering if brewing is possible on a stovetop gas burner. Does it just take longer? I'm limited with my options as far as brewing outside because I live in an apartment building.

Any advice?

You can boil 2-3 gallons on most gas stoves with no problem, normally full boils require a outdoor propane burner.

on your gas stove, 5 gallon batches are possible. I've been doing full boil, all-grain batches for about 9 months. Moved out to the garage recently because SWMBO complained about the mess, the smell and tying up the kitchen for hours..... not because it didn't work indoors.

YMMV

sounds great guys. I'll be doing 5 gallon batches for a while....I'll just have to deal with my girlfriend yelling about the smell...Maybe I'll invest in a better fan.

Natural gas burns hotter than propane, so you should be able to do a 5 gallon batch easy inside. The convenience of having propane outside is handy though. After I damaged the electric stove (which I was doing 5 gal. batches on), I eagerly volunteered to get propane and move outside. Can drink more and enjoy the outdoors; a win-win, in my book!

Back