average OG of 1 gallon of undiluted cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottfro

Reaction score
Obviously this will vary a lot depending on the apple variety and all kinds of other growing factors but is there a rough range you can use to estimate?

Beerthoven said:
The two ciders I've made using real cider measured 1.068 and 1.064.

Interesting. I recently made a batch using generic apple juice (not cider), and it measure 1.044

All that extra "stuff" in cider adds 0.020 to the gravity, which I assume is mostly unfermentable? That would imply that hard cider made with cider, verses juice would be totally different, even if they tasted similar at the start.

nick

Well, in general I have seen people list apple juice anywhere from 1.04 to 1.06. I I find his info on unfiltered cider, totally believable. I used organic cider for my last batch. I let the extra stuff settle to the bottom, than poured it into another container, leaving as much non juice behind as possible. In doing this, I found that the juice was the sweetest apple juice I had ever had and was tempted not even to ferment the stuff it tasted so good. I didn't get a reading on it, but wouldn't be surprised to hear cider really does have that large of a range of sugar content.

I have made from Cider from pressed apples 2 years in a row now. Both times the OG was 1.047, using an apple blend consisting in part of our one apple tree and the rest orchard 'seconds'.

Back