White spots on top of beer in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewboy

Reaction score
OK, I primary fermented a Kolsch style ale for seven days at 65 degrees. I had very good fermentation after 4 days it was complete, and I let it stay in primary for 7. I transfered to secondary on the the 7th day. I just checked it today at day 11, and there are some white spots on the top of the beer. My question is, is it still fermenting a little, or is something else going on I need to worry about? The temp has been constant between 65-68 degrees.

If they look like little clumps of bubbles, you should be cool. It seems that the bubbles in secondary can be pretty small sometimes, and might look like nasties but actually be a sign of perfectly normal, slow secondary fermentation.

How clear is the beer at this stage? I think that unusual cloudiness is sometimes associated with infection.

Could you post a pic of the beer? Perhaps someone with more knowledge than I might be able to speculate.

Here is a link to some photos of beer in fermentation:

http://www.bodensatz.com/gallery/FermentationFotos

Well, it's never something else you need to worry about...if you have an infection, worrying won't help ;)

If they're little clumps of bubbles, that's perfectly normal. Bubbles will continue even after the yeast is done as trapped CO2 in the trub and in solution slowly is released.

Without seeing it, it's tough to be certain, but I bet it's normal. You'll know once you taste it :D

I took a look at the link that you provided, D-brewmeister, an I believe it's ok.
It looks like little clumps of air bubbles, like in the pictures at that website.
Thanks for everyones help.

Janx said:
If they're little clumps of bubbles, that's perfectly normal. Bubbles will continue even after the yeast is done as trapped CO2 in the trub and in solution slowly is released.
Just a quick question, Janx: How would you tell the difference between active yeast bubbles and these residual CO2 bubbles in the secondary? If you can still see bubbles rising steadily, even if they arent really forming much by way of a head on the brew, is that yeast doing its thing?

Back