Best angle for a blow off tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrstyunderwater

Reaction score
Is it best to have a blow off tube at the same level as the fermenter, above, or below?

Never worried about it before but I'm afraid this batch is gonna blow without the right setup.

have your blow-off bottle lower than your fermenter, if possible. you want gravity to pull the excess foam down out of the tube

ALWAYS have the bucket lower than the fermenting vessel. IF at all possible, put the bucket/bottle/etc. on the floor. You do NOT want to get the stuff from the blowoff bucket back into the fermenting vessel.

At most, I've used a milk crate to lift my blowoff bucket so that the tubing was going into the sanitizer solution (Star San). If the tubing was longer, or not so twisted, I would have put it onto the ground. This was taking a feed off of a 1/4 barrel (tall) fermenting keg. So the tubing was about 24" above ground level. The bucket, and end of the hose, was about 12-16" above the ground.

Back