Nickel plated ball valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgoldb1

Reaction score
I'm thinking about picking up the Brewersedge Kettlevalve for my 10 gallon Igloo cooler. Do I need to be worried about the nickle plated ball valve as it is not stainless steel. Will anything leach into my mash?

I'm thinking about picking up the Brewersedge Kettlevalve for my 10 gallon Igloo cooler. Do I need to be worried about the nickle plated ball valve as it is not stainless steel. Will anything leach into my mash?

I've seen other parts that are nickel plated brass and had an FDA rating on it so you should be fine.

Haven't seen these particular products but they should be fine for brewing. Longevity may be more of a concern than SS, but that's almost on geological time on the homebrewing scale.

I have 2 in mash tuns and one in my kettle HLT. The acidity of the mash will eat the nickle off in short order. they work fine and are inexpensive. because everything is one piece with a lock nut there are fewer things to put together. If you want to make an upgrade. Bobby at brewhardware.com has good all stainless bulkhead set ups as well as more servicable 3 piece ballvalves.

Back