Fermentation problems and questions!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mroyer747

Reaction score
I'm brewing my 1st batch of beer this week and it is an ipa recipe that I got from a home brew store. Well from the 1st 10 hours I didn't see any bubbling at all... So I pressed the cap of the fermenter to see if it had pressure and it did... Then I go back 30 min later and was bubbling. So I was excited it was working so when I got back from work no bubbles. So I got worried and got on here to ask questions... Everyone said let it sit so I did form almost 48 hrs when I noticed some water was low in the valve so I said the heck with it and opened the top o take a hydrometer reading. Well it sure smelled like brew and looked pretty good on top. It had some of the hops around the bucket or something like that.. When I took my 1 st hydrometer reading after cooling after my boil it read 1.042 and the OG is 1.044-1.048. Then the reading tonight was 1.020 and my FG is 1.011-1.013. It's been only 48hrs so I'm not sure if it is fermenting just with no bubbles or what?? Obviously it dropped but I'm not sure what to do now? Any helpful advice would be great!!

Put the lid back on and leave it the hell alone! If your gravity dropped then it is fermenting. Stop picking at it!

Would you recommend doing the transfer to my carboy after the 1 week or just let it go the whole 2 weeks in the fermenter it is in??

give it a solid 2 weeks-3weeks in PRIMARY!. What was OG? what is target FG? recipe? yeast used? lot's of variables. Do you plan on dry hopping for IPA? (I'd dry hop in primary less oxidation in transfer) Bottling? kegging? ??? More info please! I'm Always Willing to Help a Newb!
This board is the best out there! answered 99% of my questions.

Bubbling is not an indication of fermentation. it's just a pressure difference. fermentation... maybe. atmospheric... maybe... only true test is hydrometer. I have been home brewing since early 90's. take first reading after 10 days on a session beer, 14 days on higher gravity beer (depending on yeast) re sample 4 days later on both if gravity stable... bottle or keg. gravity changed? wait another 4-5 days. sample... stable? bottle or keg. I am in the process of moving, got a batch in primary for 30 days ( honey blonde) want to keg this week and force carb for move in 2 weeks... 2.5lbs of local honey in 5 gal all grain batch!) took a final sample on target 2 samples in a row... she tastes great young & flat. (ouch that sounds a bit like chester the molester, but I'm talkin' homebrew!!!!!)

Thanks man I need help lol. Just want this batch to come out. It's an English pale ale recipe I to from the brew store... It's OG is 1.044-1.048 and after it cooled it read 1.042. So of coarse i had a problem with the seal to the valve and fell in the wort. So I fished and fished couldn't get it out so I washed my hand and arm really good and got it out. Like a ******* the yeast was already in. So I got on here and found I have a 50 50 on infection. So anyways after almost 2 full days like a ******* again I checked the hydrometer tonight cause my valve water was low and had no pressure. It read 1.020 and the FG is 1.011-1.013. So I guess I just need o let it sit and leave it alone lol. It did have some residue around he inside and smelled good so I don't think there is an infection. I'll tel ya I'm hooked now though... Even if this batch doesn't come out good I learned a lot of stuff doing it and on here from you guys! And there isn't any dry hopping they said to transfer in 1 week to clear it I guess. I have it in my bucket for bottling and didn't use my carboy which next time I'll use that for my 1 fermenter

"So I got on here and found I have a 50 50 on infection."

False! Your probably good! Yeast is an aggressive animal, and will over populate any bacteria. As long as a good culture, which it seems like you did.

Let the board know how you are doing, with final gravities, how the beer tasted etc.

IPA... are you going to dry hop? not needed but adds a nice fresh hop aroma & a bit of flavor. If no don't worry. I've done several IPAs with out it. All crowd pleasers!

With bottling, wait 2 weeks AT LEAST esp on IPA for taking first sample, then again in a another 2 weeks. IPAs start balancing at around week 4 in bottle... Sorry, rough choice for first home brew (patience is a virtue). English browns are ready for consumption in 4 weeks from brew to glass. but they are low gravity (FG) and low hop. But tasty tasty tasty! usually with a good malty body.
boil your priming sugar in a pint of water for 10-15min, put that in bottom of bottling bucket and rack beer on top. this usually gives a consistent carb through whole batch.

Hey guys just reading in and I also have a rookie brewer question... I am currently working on my second brew .. The first was an amber ale which turned out well (private supplier recipe .. not mainstream) well the amber took little time to be ready for drinking (1 week primary, 1 week secondary, bottle, 3 week in bottle) and it is arguably the best beer I have ever had (possibly bias on my part) anyway... I bought a tin kit of "Morgans Iron Bark Dark Ale" which is very popular... I have no idea when this stuff is aged well enough to drink... I can't seem to find it anywhere ... Do I keep it in the secondary for a long time or put it in a keg or bottles to age .. I'm a lite lost .. I knew what to expect with my first brew but am now lacking direction.. anyone have any experience with this kit? Or have some suggestion?

My EPA is 2 weeks old today and my OG was 1.042 and yesterday I measured it and the FG is 1.010. So I think I'm there! I did leave it in the 1 st fermentation process the full 2 weeks and tonight I'm thinking of moving it to the secondary. I'm not sure how much time I should leave it.... I have stayed true to the hydrometer the whole time and I will continue to check before I bottle. Next time I hope to get more alcohol out of my next batch and well I'm looking into cheap refrigerators on Craig's list.... Keeping a solid temp has been hard for me... Just excited to see how it comes out. Tasted ok yesterday and just waiting for the final process to be done. How long should I keep it in secondary since its been in the 1st for 2 weeks? And how long should I let it carbonate in bottles??? Any tips let me know cheers!!

Back