Amarillo, Centennial, Columbus and Simcoe IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobMT

Reaction score
How does this look to you guys?

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.24 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.24 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.081 SG
Estimated Color: 11.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 103.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 79.8 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
12 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 75.0 %

8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.1 %

1 lbs 8.0 oz Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 5 9.4 %

1 lbs Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 6.3 %

1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 6.3 %

1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 60. 38.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min 5.7 IBUs
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min 4.2 IBUs
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min 2.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min 6.7 IBUs
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min 4.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min 2.7 IBUs
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min 8.7 IBUs
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min 6.4 IBUs
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min 3.5 IBUs
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 15. 9.4 IBUs
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 10. 6.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 5.0 3.8 IBUs
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 0.0 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Day 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days 0.0 IBUs

Huge starter of harvested US-05

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 16 lbs
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 21.25 qt of water at 161.1 F 150.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Drain mash tun, Batch sparge with 1 steps (4.27gal) of 168.0 F water

Beersmith also has my estimated mash efficiency at almost 80% which is way above what I'm actually getting. How do I change that?

Thanks in advance for recipe input and beersmith help!:mug:

Who loves hops. I love hops. And apparently so do you. 3/4lb of hops in 5 gallons? I like it. What is that, like a quarter oz of hops per bottle?

Hahaha didn't even look at it that way. Awesome!

How does that grain bill look? Going for something fairly simple that'll let the hops shine through, not that they wouldn't at those volumes.

Pilsner as a base malt may need a longer boil for DMS removal. up it to 90 minutes, otherwise, sounds pretty awesome.

That's my mistake, that's supposed to be pale malt, not pilsner.

Thanks for the help! Looks like this one is up to bat very soon.

Looks god to me. I brew one with a hop schedule like that. I don't bother with dry hopping. The late additions will give you the aroma.

I like it! I'm a hophead and think it looks great.

To change the efficiency in Beersmith, just change it on the "Design" screen and that should fix it. If not, set your efficiency in the "mash" area, I think it is.

I like it! I'm a hophead and think it looks great.

To change the efficiency in Beersmith, just change it on the "Design" screen and that should fix it. If not, set your efficiency in the "mash" area, I think it is.

I am not sure if you are on beer smith 1 or 2 but in beer smith 2 you can change the efficiency of a single recipe on the Design tab. The alternative is to change the effiency of your whole equipment profile which can be done by editing whatever equipment profile you use.

Just remember that BeerSmith does not update data in your recipes if you change the default profile. You have to reselect the default profile from the design tab in all previously created recipes to have the new altered equipment take effect.

It's really not a ridiculous amount of hops for a DIPA. I would however simplify the late additions a bit more though. I don't see any benefit from doing 15/10/5/0/DH rather than going with a simple 10/0/DH schedule with an equal amount of hops. Instead of adding even additions late, I would consider adding slightly more hops during flameout and dryhop and slightly less at 15/10. I've always added my flameout hops during midflameout (170-180 F). I feel I get more aroma this way since you're still adding the hops to a hot wort, but it's not boiling hot.

I do agree on cutting the Crystal 60 by half (or entirely and replacing with 1/2 lb. Crystal 20 or lighter). Too much of those toasty, rich, caramel flavors may outshine your hop focus here, plus you're using Victory as well. I've had great success with White or Red Wheat in my IPAs... just a suggestion.

I definitely urge to boil for 90 minutes and not to scrap the dryhop. Even with a lot of late additions, a solid dryhop for a DIPA is essential IME and will provide a different hop character than late additions.

Looks wonderful! I agree with the others on cutting the crystal malt back a bit, but the hop schedule looks delightful. That's pretty much the exact strategy I use with my IPA hop schedules. The only thing I might change is to add another ounce of dry hops!

You may try a faux-whirlpool addition with your flameout hops. Instead of cooling the beer immediately after you turn off the burner, let it sit for a bit, up to an hour or so even. You will still extract alpha acids at temps above something like 180 degrees. I believe they mention doing this in the most recent BrewingTV episode.

I just brewed an IPA with similar hops: Columbus, Amarillo, Centennial... except I have Chinook in there instead. It's what I would call a toned-down version of what you have going here and preliminary tasting has my nose and taste buds tingling! I think it looks great... go for it!

You may try a faux-whirlpool addition with your flameout hops. Instead of cooling the beer immediately after you turn off the burner, let it sit for a bit, up to an hour or so even. You will still extract alpha acids at temps above something like 180 degrees. I believe they mention doing this in the most recent BrewingTV episode.

Umm, see three posts before you.

Not a big deal. Sometimes I'm guilty of not reading every single post in a thread now that I look at it that way. Happy brewing.

Back