Chrome v Stainless Perlick?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thodson2010

MadBrewer
Reaction score
Anybody have any good info about this? I am building a keggerator and have to decide between the two. I am also trying to keep the project low in price, so the chrome plated is nice for that. Also, rebel brewing has a deal on the whole setup.

http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shoppingcart/products/Add%2dA%2dTap-Kit.html

Does this look like a good deal? or should I just pay up for the stainless ones?

Any real long term differences.

Thanks in advance!

The one you linked to is a standard chrome faucet the ones everyone always ends up replacing. I started right with perlicks because of all the complaints.

They do make chrome plated perlicks now, which is what I would get if you were trying to lower the price. They are listed as Perlick 525PC vs Perlick 525SS. They have the same forward seal mechanism to prevent sticky faucets. But they are just chrome plated instead of stainless.

http://www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=283

One thing I noticed as I have chrome and stainless Perlicks is that there is a "guide" for the forward and back pivoting motion of the faucet that is plastic on the chrome model and stainless steel on the stainless model. I was concerned about possibly breaking the plastic piece when breaking down and cleaning the chrome faucet, especially if it becomes brittle with age or something. Also, does chrome wear off eventually exposing your beer to brass? Isn't that bad potentially?

The chrome plating will wear down over time. But I believe it takes several years first.

If you buy perlicks there is no reason to take them apart to clean them. They self-clean when you clean the lines. So I wouldn't worry too much about the one plastic piece.

Funny thing about Perlicks... the 425SS is an all stainless faucet, but the finish is described as "chrome" because it's polished. :drunk:

I neglected my lines and trust me I felt much better taking my Perlicks apart and getting a brush to them. It was necessary. I couldn't get a stubborn film off that was clinging to the inside of my lines with warm oxy-clean free nor with beer line cleaner and the same film was on some of the faucet inside surfaces. I was a lazy brewer but I have learned from my ways. Improved cleaning regimen from now on. There, I have come clean on HBT. Pun intended.

Opps, my bad. Deff good info on the perlicks though. I might just have to pay up and go full stainless.

Anybody have any thoughts on the chrome shanks? just trying to get the best reviews before I buy.

[...]Anybody have any thoughts on the chrome shanks? just trying to get the best reviews before I buy.

If you're springing for stainless faucets you might as well go all-in and get stainless shanks as well.

In any case, if you're going to buy Perls you should buy the shanks from the same place and request the seller make sure the faucets fit those shanks...

Cheers!

I just got in in 5 of the chrome ones today from farmhouse after sheering off one of the regular stuck faucets.

Funny thing about Perlicks... the 425SS is an all stainless faucet, but the finish is described as "chrome" because it's polished. :drunk:
The "chrome" faucets we're talking about are the 525PC. Chrome Plated Brass.

I recently finished mine and am glad I went with the SS. I'm sure I'll be even happier when I give them a full cleaning.

The "chrome" faucets we're talking about are the 525PC. Chrome Plated Brass.
Yeah, I know. I just found it comical (and relevant) that Perlick lists the finish on their 425SS faucets as "chrome" even though they are SS.

Yeah, I know. I just found it comical (and relevant) that Perlick lists the finish on their 425SS faucets as "chrome" even though they are SS.

Perhaps a retailer did somewhere, but not on perlick's site...

The Perlick 425SS boxes say:

Perlick 425SS
FAUCET BEER, CHROME FIN.
W/SS SHAFT & SPOUT

It's been like that for at least the last few years. The only metal parts that might actually have a chrome finish would be the bonnet and the handle locknut. All the metal parts that contact the beer are stainless steel.

I went with the cheaper tap kits. I was trying to keep this thing in budget. (hahaha) I figure I will just have to build anothe keggerator in the future and really invest some time and $ into it.

Cheers, and thanks for the advice!

Back