Last two brews have tasted like plastic! Please help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukadog

Reaction score
Ok, I'm having some new issues. The past two batches I have made have had this plastic taste to them! Not good at all! I'm practicing the exact sanitation techniques, same temps ect. My FC is always at 62 degrees, and I'm brewing the same way I have for a long time. However, the past two brews have tasted just horrible, with a weird plastic taste. I know my mash temps shouldn't be an issue. I taste it before I keg it and it has the same taste, so it shouldn't be the keg. It was in a better bottle with no blow off, so it rules that out. What is this problem? I'm REALLY getting tired of pouring beer down the drain! Any help would be great! Thanks!

I feel your pain. Had to dump two batches back to back due to a terrible taste. Heartbreaking! Mine came from the new CFC I got but didn't clean & sanitize as thoroughly as I needed to, but if you've changed no equipment or procedure, that's a tough one.

Is the taste plastic like it's picking up better bottle taste? Or like a band-aid?

Ok, I'm having some new issues. The past two batches I have made have had this plastic taste to them! Not good at all! I'm practicing the exact sanitation techniques, same temps ect. My FC is always at 62 degrees, and I'm brewing the same way I have for a long time. However, the past two brews have tasted just horrible, with a weird plastic taste. I know my mash temps shouldn't be an issue. I taste it before I keg it and it has the same taste, so it shouldn't be the keg. It was in a better bottle with no blow off, so it rules that out. What is this problem? I'm REALLY getting tired of pouring beer down the drain! Any help would be great! Thanks!

Just a wild guess, you aren't using a garden hose for obtaining your water are you?

Also, what is the recipe? Possible old or bad batch of extract if youre partial mash? Did they use a same extract from the same source?

What yeast? Are you using tap water? Filtered or treated? When I have had this issue in the past it was from too high a fermentation temperature - mid 60's. How are you measuring fermentation temp? Inside the chamber or do you have a probe taped and insulated against the fermenter?

Also, what is the recipe? Possible old or bad batch of extract if youre partial mash? Did they use a same extract from the same source?

AG. Same grains from the same LHBS with the same mill and settings.

What yeast? Are you using tap water? Filtered or treated? When I have had this issue in the past it was from too high a fermentation temperature - mid 60's. How are you measuring fermentation temp? Inside the chamber or do you have a probe taped and insulated against the fermenter?

WLP007 English Dry. My water is tap untreated from a hose. Same way as I have always have done it. My temp controller is set on 62 with the probe taped halfway down the wall with some bubble wrap behind it against the wall (so probe isn't touching the wall)

"Plastic" flavors are usually related to two things- chlorine/chloramine in the brewing water, or infections.

I had two brews, side by side, that came out of the same boil kettle. One was plasticy, and one was not. I had to call that infection, since the other fermenter was fine. But it was a heads scratcher, that's for sure!

Chlorophenols are the most common cause of a plastic taste- that comes from chlorines or chloramines in the brewiing water.

bwomp313 said:
or using bleach as a cleaner/sanitizer. learned that lesson the hard way.

I usually always use bleach with pretty good results. Haven't noticed any difference from other sanitizers.

I've tasted some Bretted beer that was kinda plasticky... I would say infection of some sort or you hose is getting old.

How long has the beer aged? I had a bitter that was band aid like when it was young. Almost pitched it just needed time to mature.

Do you have well water? I had problems with my well water. Even if it hasn't in the past, ground water can change...heck, sometimes my well water will be fine one day, and almost undrinkable the next. Anyway, just s shot in the dark.

Here's a handy link for any furture "off-flavors" you may encounter

http://howtobrew.com/section4/chapter21-2.html

I'm on Hawaii city water. Havn't got a water report yet. I'm very good with my sanitation techniques, and even if I did get an infected batch, I surly couldn't have infected TWO! Well I hope not anyways! I'm thinking it has to be the water, but then again, I've been using the water here from the hose for two years and have never had this problem.

And thanks everyone for the help! So does alot of people use bottled water? I never had because the beer was always fine. So I guess I will go the bottled route.

+1 on not using Chlorine to sanitize. I had two ruined batches with a taste similar to what you are describing and I was using Chlorine to sanitize for a year. So 2/12 batches were ruined basically, fast forward and I'm using star san now, no ruined batches in the last 5-6. Also get a filter for your water, it helps improve quality a bit.

Here's one you could hook up to your house, or you can just attach to the kitchen sink and transport it which is what I do.
http://***********/stories/projects...self/402-build-your-own-water-filter-projects

Have you always kegged or just started with these brews? Have you changed your lines recently. I have to waste a couple of oz each time I draw a beer from the kegger. No matter what beer lines I buy, I can taste the freakin plastic. Not so much with darker beers, but with lighter ones. Nasty. Worth a try....

Have you always kegged or just started with these brews? Have you changed your lines recently. I have to waste a couple of oz each time I draw a beer from the kegger. No matter what beer lines I buy, I can taste the freakin plastic. Not so much with darker beers, but with lighter ones. Nasty. Worth a try....

I have recently replaced my siphon tubing. I almost always keg. And the taste is there when I taste it out of the primary before hitting the keg and carbing. I guess it could be the siphon tubing, but it came from the HBS. I always pull at least a pint from the keg at first to clear the lines and pull the crud the has settled. All beer lines and gas lines are fom my LHBS. I'm now thinking it could be the new siphon tubing or the water. This is strange and upsetting to see this beer go to waste! I have an IIPA dry hopping now going in the keg in a few days, and I will see if this one is the same.

Go to Home Depot, Lowe's or City Mill and pick up a $20 RV hose. It's made to transfer potable water. I use it on every brew out here (Kaimuki) without an issue. When it bust one day, I bought another one without blinking an eye. Quick/easy/cheap possible fix.

Go to Home Depot, Lowe's or City Mill and pick up a $20 RV hose. It's made to transfer potable water. I use it on every brew out here (Kaimuki) without an issue. When it bust one day, I bought another one without blinking an eye. Quick/easy/cheap possible fix.

Great tip thanks! Do you use tap water? and if so, is it right out of the tap or hose? Thanks!

I used to have this same problem with my draft lines and like you needed to flush a couple oz to lose the vinyl flavor. The solution was to install Accuflex Bev-Seal Ultra lines. Now no more wasted draft beer.

Back