wet Amarillo and Simcoe!!! what to make??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdogg

Reaction score
i just placed an order at my LHBS for a pound each of fresh amarillo and simcoe hops. i have about 4 weeks before they arrive. i think im going to brew something next weekend so i can wet hop it with some of the hops, and brew another beer the day they arrive. ideas? recipes?

one of my buddy's suggested a hoppy red like O'dells, but i cant find a recipe. i think i might brew an IPA next weekend to be ready to dry hop. any other suggestions?

If you plan to imitate an existing beer keep in mind that the wet hops are going to leave a much different experience. Expect some grassy earthy type aroma's and plan accordingly with your grain bill to stand up to that. I did a dry (wet) hop with some Cascade once and that was enough for me. I waited several weeks for the grass to fade away.

Is it obvious that I'm not a fan of wet hop brews?

im not worried about doing a clone, but i would like to showcase the hops. do most people that use "wet" hops use them as late boil additions and adding to secondary?

FWIW - I crave Founder's Harvest Wet Hop Ale every year! A pale ale brewed with fresh hops. I don't think the extra flavors hurt the beer at all. I should probably try and brew something like that at home this year when the hops are ripe.

alright well i brewed 10 gallons of a strong red ale. 1.075 OG, 75 IBU's and lots of american hops (kinda cleaned out the freezer). this will get half of the wet hops when they arrive. the other half will go into some sort of pale ale. i cant wait!

Back