Homebrew Calculators Android App

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryandlf

Reaction score
I am in the process of creating a homebrew app for android that is basically going to be a collection of calculators such as Convert Brix to SG, Alcohol % etc. Of course this is going to be a free application available to anyone with an android device.

I need some feedback though...what calculators would you guys like to see on your mobile phones? Strike temperature, amount of water needed, maybe you'd like to see some other type of functionality. Tell me what you think would make the best homebrewing app available. Help me create a cool piece of software and I promise within the very near future it will be available to everyone here free of charge.

Just me personally but if you could be able to calibrate your system in the tools section (btu's of burner/ heat capacity of BK-HLT-MT) and set your strike temp based on that info, that would be sweet....

Mash Timer with both visual and audible alerts...

Boil timer with different alarms for each hop addition...

automatically post to foursquare (not sure about you but I have my house as a brewery... Cielo del Oro Cerveseria)...

PREBIOL GRAVITY calculation... Just started doing this and would have done it earlier if I could have found out how to calculate earlier...

I hope that helps... I love brewing apps but most fall short and piss me off... Good luck... I will gladly download and click all links to help out :fro:

I agree...brewing apps are disappointing which is why I want to make a better one...I began learning how to program mobile apps a little while back for that sole reason (but I have to admit its become a bit of a passion of mine.)

The first thing you mentioned, calibrating your system from the tools section. Its something that interests me and I would consider but a little over my head as far as how advanced my brewing system is set up. Do you mean interacting with a piece of desktop software? Maybe you could provide me with some documentation to formulas or at least a good description of what you mean and I can definitely look into adding some of that functionality.

Your other suggestions are great...I love the idea of timers with alarms...these will be part of the app for sure!

What a great couple of suggestions, thank you so much for the input. If anyone else wants to post some ideas please feel free. I want to give back to our community in a big way. And this is the best way for a guy like me.

Mash temp and sparge temps along with the associated volumes would be great. I have yet to see a fully functional android app for brewing, most just import files from beersmith et al. Far as I can tell, Brewtarget is about as simple a program as it gets, and its open source. So if you can emulate a good share of its features, I think you'd have the most viable app on the market where brewing is concerned.

i like the preboil gravity in there :)

Maybe an automatic calculator for those who use a refractometer... since alcohol disrupts the reading a calculation is needed... I dont know it, but beer tools does...

Do you mean interacting with a piece of desktop software? Maybe you could provide me with some documentation to formulas or at least a good description of what you mean and I can definitely look into adding some of that functionality.

My idea was kind of how beer tools is setup... you enter the ambient temperature, temp after infusion, temp after 5 minutes and temp after 65 minutes... this would help users accurately plan their mash

keep up the good work :rockin:

Definitely plan on having a SG during fermentation calculator. My app is very refractometer friendly :) When you convert the brix you can set the sg as either original or final and then it automatically enters it in other calculators that use the data for that session so you don't have to remember your specific gravities...among other things.

I've been working on the timer functions...they are proving to be kind of annoying to get all the functionality I want, but its coming together.

Hops substitution calculator would be nice. Seems like the LHBS is usually out of something i need. My vision is to select the desired hops and amount and list the closest substitutions and their amounts to keep AA's consistent.

Well you didn't download my app because its quite a ways off from being complete :D That being said I have been taking in all of these suggestions and hope to implement them into the app. My main focus is calculators at the moment but i've been spending the last couple days on building a timer function as well so maybe this will end up turning into an all in one brewing app...guess we'll have to see :D I'll be sure to post once its complete and available on the android market.

Well you didn't download my app because its quite a ways off from being complete :D That being said I have been taking in all of these suggestions and hope to implement them into the app. My main focus is calculators at the moment but i've been spending the last couple days on building a timer function as well so maybe this will end up turning into an all in one brewing app...guess we'll have to see :D I'll be sure to post once its complete and available on the android market.

He might be referring to "Home Brew Calculators" by Ghost Chili Software thinking that was yours based on the thread title here.

Here is the list of brewing related apps I currently have installed on my phone.
Beer Calculator by Jeremiah Johnson
Beer Science by Jason Mong
Brew Timer by HumanJoe Labs
BrewR - Beer Recipe Manager by Weekend Coders, LLC
Beer Stats and Conversions by Jomebrew
Home Brew Calculators by Ghost Chili Software
Brewzor Pro BETA by Brewzor
Brewzor Calculator FREE by Brewzor
Brewzor Calculator BETA by Brewzor

I use Brewzor Pro BETA most frequently.

Back