Fillet medalions in marsala wine sauce

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TpaMatt

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm new here, and know nothing about brewing, so i thought i'd make my first real post about a favorite recipe of mine.

Fillet mignion in Marsala wine sauce with garlic mashed potatoes.
I'll do this recipe for aproximatly 2 people, its a simple one so you can alter the recipe as needed to acommidate more people

Ingredients:
Fillet mignion (size and quantity is up to you, i use 8oz)
red potatoes- 5 or 6
fresh thyme
salt & pepper
A good marsala wine- 1 glass
mushrooms (i like to use morels but any kind will do)
Shallots- 2 or 3 depending on size
GARLIC!!! 3 cloves for the sauce 4 or 5 for the taters
Creme Fraiche (if you cant find this and it is hard to find, double whipping cream will work alright)

Lightly salt and pepper the fillets, Then strip a few stalks of thyme and rub into the fillets. Allow them to sit while you peel potatoes and chop shallots and garlic.

Peel the potatoes and throw them in a large pot, cover with water, throw 4 or 5 cloves of garlic in and boil. chop the shallots, garlic and mushies.

Now that everything is more or less prepped, heat a NON STICK! pan to about medium heat, add some olive oil, once it gets hot, throw the fillets on, and space them out so they're an inch or so apart. DONT TOUCH THEM! once they're on, if you move them, you'll break the seal between the fillets and pan and they could burn. Cook for aprox 6 minutes for thick fillets, then flip them and cook for 5 or so minutes longer. You shouldn't see any pink on the side of the steaks and they should be medium..ish. Remove the fillets and place them on a plate, cover them and allow them to sit while you prepare the rest.

Using the same pan that you just cooked the fillets in, DONT CLEAN THE PAN! you should have some of those nice tastey bits left in the pan from searing the fillets. PERFECT. Add a little more oil and throw in the chopped shallots and garlic and allow them to sweat a little, after a minute or so add the mushrooms. You're trying to get the mixture soft, not fried so medium/medium-high heat is all you need.

Once the shallots are looking golden and soft, add a glass of marsala wine. WARNING: if you are using a gas cook top with open flames, it may flame up. dont freak out, allow it to flame for a few seconds then move it away from the heat until the flames die out. if it doesnt flame, allow it to simmer and reduce for a few minutes. once the wine has reduced a little, add about a half a tub of creme fraiche(or double whipping cream) and stir, the mixture should coat the back of the spoon.

Time to get the taters sorted out. dump them into a strainer(it should catch the garlic too). after strained throw it all back into the pot, add a good bit of double whipping cream or milk and a good hunk of butter. MASH.

by now the steaks should still be warm but will have become very tender. I like to spoon a big load of mashed potatoes onto the plate and place the fillet on top, spoon the sauce on top generously.

ENJOY! Goes great with a good beer or cabernet wine. :mug:

CHEERS

Back