Safale S-05 Alcohol Tolerance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haputanlas

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm kind of irritated that the official PDF tech specs for this yeast don't mention anything about alcohol tolerance.

http://www.fermentis.com/fo/pdf/HB/EN/Safale_US-05_HB.pdf

I love this stuff and want to use this or S-04 for my RIS. It will be between 11-13% ABV and of course would put quite a strain on the yeast.

I just want to make sure that the yeast would be able to finish the job.

Anyone have any ideas on whether or not the S-05 or S-04 could handle this?

I think they refrain from giving specific numbers because so many factors can affect this. However, in my experience (and, from what I gather, that of most around here), US-05 should do just fine at least to 11-12 percent. S-04 may not.

11-13% ABV will be fine with S-05. I took a 1.112 barleywine to 1.022 with it

Yeah, you will be fine with US-05. just for another point of reference, I pitched 2 packs on a 1.116 Barleywine and it went down to 1.021.

Use 2 packs, re-hydrate them 30min prior to pitching and aerate well. You shouldn't have an issue.

s-05 is probably one of the most resilient dry ale yeasts. i use it tall IPA's (8.5%), Barleywines (12.5%) and heavy Blonde ales (8 and 10.5%). no prob.

just my 2 cents...

Nice. I still haven't gotten that high on this strain yet. Maybe for my next RIS or barleywine

I realize that this is a two year old thread that's been resurrected but I wondered if there's been any further insight into the alcohol tolerances of US-05 and S-04. I managed to find this document
but the information in there states that S-04 is only really able to efficiently attenuate, and then re-ferment (bottle carb), at up to 6.5% ABV, although it may be able to attenuate/bottle carb, very sluggishly, a brew of up to slightly under 9%. There's no reference to US-05 in the document I linked to but, from what you guys are saying here, it sounds like US-05 is definitely far more tolerant than S-04 of high alcohol environments and able to get brews up to considerably higher ABVs.

Not sure about this strain but there is a saf-33 high alcohole yeast, which has a stated tolerance of around 12%.

I'm sure pitching two packs would have a similar effect though.

S-33 is a Belgian strain in the Saison and Bier-de-Garde category. It is a very different strain from an American ale yeast like US05.

S-33 is not belgian, it's english (EDME strain)

This thread has helped me out a lot. I'm making an old ale/ESB/Barleywine (not sure what the monster will be yet) with S-05, and the OG was 1.082. I wasn't sure how well those little buggers would do with higher gravities, but it sounds like it'll do just fine. Thanks again!

I had a packet of safale 05 to spare and used it to create some mead.
It's running quite a bit dryer than I expected going from 1.071 to 1.002 in primary fermentation after two weeks (97% attenuation, over 9% ABV). Has anyone else run into the same problem of safale 05 making your beer/mead far dryer than expected?

Latest posts

Back