Heat Shrink.. How hot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r8rphan

Reaction score
Anyone know how hot a temp heat shrink will withstand?

I'm thinking of using a fermometer directly applied to 1/2" copper tubing at the output of a custom CFC rig... I was thinking of using clear heat shrink over the fermometer to keep it on during repeated use and washing and what not...

While, during use for intended purpose, it will never see temps over 100 degrees, I would like to be able to fluch the CFC with boiling water from the keggle..

This would also be a handy way to mark tubing in a professional manner if it works...

you can get some super high temp heat shrink, but I don't know much about it.

With a quick google search, I found some good for 450F+. not sure about if its food safe though

It will never be in contact with the wort, but will be absorbing the heat from the wort through the tubing.. I'll do a google search for high heat heat shrink.. thanks..

why not just get one of these?

image_536.jpg

Anyone know how hot a temp heat shrink will withstand?

I'm thinking of using a fermometer directly applied to 1/2" copper tubing at the output of a custom CFC rig... I was thinking of using clear heat shrink over the fermometer to keep it on during repeated use and washing and what not...

While, during use for intended purpose, it will never see temps over 100 degrees, I would like to be able to fluch the CFC with boiling water from the keggle..

This would also be a handy way to mark tubing in a professional manner if it works...

$2 for a fermometer + $2 for a foot or so of heat shrink = $4... plus no hose clamps or connections whatsoever.. no restrictions or whatever for crud to accumulate.. nothing to ever disassemble and clean... just something heat shrinked to the outside of existing tubing on your chiller...

It's the exact same principle, just cheaper, cleaner, easier..... and no worries about it ever bubbling or coming lose...

for one eighth the price...

If for some reason, the method I am proposing fails, then the thrumometer is plan B...

FWIW, I did a little research on line, and found out that that High temp stuff is good to 450 degrees, which is great, but it doesn't appear to be available in clear, which is a non-starter... and it's very expensive..

The good news is, that the standard heat shrink, available in all sorts of colors including clear, is rated to 250 degrees and is also chemical resistant.. that's more than adequate for this purpose...

I used a Walmart thermo with a remote probe. Used heat shrink on the probe to seal the SS probe and the wire. The first one got liquid down the inside of the probe as its a crimp seal. I'm sure the little chinnese mfg didn't intend the probes to get soaked in wort.

I used a Walmart thermo with a remote probe. Used heat shrink on the probe to seal the SS probe and the wire. The first one got liquid down the inside of the probe as its a crimp seal. I'm sure the little chinnese mfg didn't intend the probes to get soaked in wort.

Yes, it's already in my plans to order enough heat shrink to seal the probe, and in addition enough to put a second layer on there to attach the probe and wire to a coat hanger or other suitavle metal rod, complete with hook to hang over the edge of the keggle...

I'm just hoping it doesn't hurt anything to straighten that probe out first.. I can't see why it would..

I used packing tape to put mine on a copper tube. No problems yet after 20 uses.

Yes, it's already in my plans to order enough heat shrink to seal the probe, and in addition enough to put a second layer on there to attach the probe and wire to a coat hanger or other suitavle metal rod, complete with hook to hang over the edge of the keggle...

I'm just hoping it doesn't hurt anything to straighten that probe out first.. I can't see why it would..

Excellent idea on on the hook on a metal rod. I simply hung it over and used a cheap plastic clip to hold the wire.

Please post on the straightening of the metal portion of the probe. I'd love to have that one straightened as well.

Latest posts

Back