Pliny the Younger Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldsock

Reaction score
This one has been on my to brew list for awhile, and this Sunday I'm planning to finally brew it. I've got a recipe file that I've been tossing bits of info I've gleaned off Vinnie from various interviews and posts. After making a DIPA I was really happy with last winter: http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2010/02/big-ipa-recipe-1-lb-of-hops.html I think I'm finally ready.

Pliny the Younger (5 gallons):
I'll cut my water 50/50 with distilled just to knock down the carbonate to ~50 ppm and add enough gypsum to get to ~150 PPM Sulfate. I’ll have acid ready if the calcium from the gypsum isn’t enough to get the mash pH down to where it needs to be.

22 lbs Great Western 2-row
1 lb Carapils
Mashed @ 150 for 1 hour

To get such a high gravity wort without having to boil for a long time I’m planning on really low efficiency (~50%) another hit to efficiency is all the wort that is lost to hop absorption. I'm hoping I have time/gravity to do some sort of hopped up American Pale Ale off of the second runnings, but we'll see.

Collect about 8 gallons of (hopefully) 1.065 wort.

90 minute boil.

Bitter with 20 ml of hop extract (Hopshots from Northern Brewer) @ 60 min (Anyone used this stuff?: http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/hopshot.pdf - this is the big question mark for me, I’ve heard its “smoother” than you’d expect so I went with more than 100 IBUs worth)

(I like pellet hops in the boil)
1.00 oz. Simcoe @ 30 min.
2.00 oz. Centennial @ 0 min.
2.00 oz. Amarillo @ 0 min.
2.00 oz. Simcoe @ 0 min.

(I’ll add the flameout hops in a couple steps, a few minutes apart so they get different lengths of exposure to the heat as the wort starts to cool, luckily my ground water is down to ~50 F so the chill should be pretty quick.)

Whirlfloc and yeast nutrient added around 15 minutes.

Hopefully the OG is about 1.086

Ferment ~65 (high 50s ambient) with a big (3 qrt) starter of WLP001 (making it tonight), loads of aeration.

1.5 lbs table sugar added to fermenter after primary fermentation starts to slow down (this will bring the effective gravity up to ~1.100), maybe over two additions a day apart.

I’ll let the temp creep up towards 70 F near the end to ensure it finishes out dry.

After fermentation is complete I’ll drop the temp close to freezing for ~5 days to get as much yeast out of suspension as possible. I'm considering fining with gelatin, but I'll give the yeast a chance to drop naturally.

The original gets four dry hop additions, but I think I’m going to simplify and do two. I like whole hops for dry hopping, more for ease of removal than anything else.

1st Dry Hop (Room temp for 10 days in the keg after most of the yeast is removed)
1.0 oz each Amarillo/Simcoe/Centennial
2nd Keg Hop (Cold in Keg during force carbing and serving)
1.0 oz each Amarillo/Simcoe/Centennial

I’ve found that keeping oxygen away from my hoppy beers is a key to having them last, so I’ll try to flush everything it touches with CO2 after the start of fermentation.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions etc…?

First off...that looks pretty good. The only comment I would have is that maybe 10 ounces of finishing hops looks a little low??? Having consumed PtY, it was a face assault of hops. My normal IIPA uses 16-20 ounces for 5 gallons, with all but 3 ounces being added with 2 minutes or less (which could be complete overkill). I love the idea of step dry hopping...I need to do more of that. Make sure to blog about it! Good Luck:mug:

First off...that looks pretty good. The only comment I would have is that maybe 10 ounces of finishing hops looks a little low??? Having consumed PtY, it was a face assault of hops. My normal IIPA uses 16-20 ounces for 5 gallons, with all but 3 ounces being added with 2 minutes or less (which could be complete overkill). I love the idea of step dry hopping...I need to do more of that. Make sure to blog about it! Good Luck:mug:

The last one I did was similar, but a bit heavier on the dry hops (3 oz for each addition).

Thanks for the comment going back and looking at some notes I was looking at the wrong dry hop scedule. Here is the actual schedule I found somewhere.

DH 1 Simcoe, Amarillo, Centennial for one week and remove
DH 2 Amarillo, Centennial for one week and remove
DH 3 Simcoe for one week and remove
DH 4 Simcoe, Amarillo Dry Hop in Keg

So I'll bump up the two additions to 1 oz of each A/S/C and remove the others (updated in the original post).

That looks a bit better to me, and more along the lines of what I tend to do dry hop wise. My fave IIPA has been one with 6 total ounces of DH, though it wasn't added in steps (already planning a re-brew with step DH additions). Do you find any flavor difference in pellet vs whole? I tend to use only pellet, and have heard many use whole as a dry hop for the ease of removal.

The biggest advantage of dry hopping with whole hops (other than ease of removal) is that they don't impart a grassy flavor if you leave them in for an extended time. I'll leave the keg hops in there until it kicks without issue. I tend to like pellets in the boil since they don't suck up as much wort, and they seem to give up their flavor faster on those late boil additions.

OH snap - The mad fermentor. Subscribed. The only thing that I can think of is an article I read were vinny was describing using far fewer yeast than was being suggested. This might not be practical since he uses co2 to suspend the few yeast he uses, in a homebrew scenario. If I come across the article I'll be sure to post.

OH snap - The mad fermentor. Subscribed. The only thing that I can think of is an article I read were vinny was describing using far fewer yeast than was being suggested. This might not be practical since he uses co2 to suspend the few yeast he uses, in a homebrew scenario. If I come across the article I'll be sure to post.

I had read that he suggests not pitching "too much yeast" for hoppy beers ( http://www.brew-monkey.com/articles/Better_Hoppy_Beers.pdf ), but I was assuming it was just slightly lower than the "optimal" pitch. With a 3L starter I'll be pitching ~2/3 of the cells that the Mr. Malty calculator suggests. That is as low as I'm comfortable with for a beer this big.

I brewed this batch yesterday with my friend Alex, pretty smooth despite the cold. The only real issue was that I thought HopShots were 10 ml each, but they are just 5 ml. So to compensate I added a couple oz of Columbus.

25 lbs GW 2-row
15 oz Carapils

Mash started at 143 (I’ll blame brewing outside on a cold day), so after 15 min I added enough boiling water to get it up to 149. Used a total of 12 gallons of water (including 4 gallons distilled) and added 10 g of gypsum.

Collected 8 gallons of 1.065 wort

10 ml HopShot @ 90 min
2 oz Columbus (13% AA) @ 60 min
4 oz Amarillo (6.9% AA) @ 0 min
3 oz Centennial (8.8% AA) @ 0 min
2 oz Simcoe (12.4% AA) @ 0 min
(1/3 of 0 min hops added at flameout, start of chilling, and 2 min into chill)

Chilled to ~64, strained to remove the bulk of the vegetal hop material, pitched decanted starter, and gave it 60 seconds of pure oxygen. With losses to the hops I got about 5 gallons of 1.085 wort into the fermenter. Fermentation going strong (smelled fantastic) after 12 hours @ 63 F ambient, moved down to the basement before heading off to work this morning. I’ll probably add the 1.25 lb of sugar Wednesday night.

I also capped the mash with 6 oz each special roast and cara 20 and ran off enough wort to make 4 gallons of ~1.040 40 IBU Citra/Chinook hopped American Bitter.

Fermented all the way down to 1.014 from an effective OG of 1.094 (including the 1.25 lbs of sugar I added to the fermenter on day #3). That puts it somewhere around 10.5% ABV and 85% apparent attenuation. About 2 weeks after fermentation started I racked it to a flushed keg and stuck it in the fridge at ~35 F for a week of cold conditioning. A few days ago I dumped a pint of trub/yeast, warmed it up, and added the first dry hop addition (bagged and weighted with marbles). In another 10 days I'll remove those hops, add the keg hops, and put it on gas. I’m hoping to be drinking it by the second/third weekend in February.

Here is the post with pictures and the full recipe: http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2010/12/pliny-younger-clone-recipe.html

Glad to see it worked well; earmarking the recipe for me to steal later! Do you feel the late substitution of the Columbus accounts for some of the discrepancy? Or would you write that off as a fortunate accident, since it came out so close?

If I brewed it again I probably would go with 4 HopShots for bitterness, although I doubt that contributed much to the differences between the two beers (the bitterness in mine is spot on, really lingers on the tongue).

I would probably tone down the Amarillo, and go with more Simcoe/Centennial if you want to get a bit closer to the original. I went with more Amarillo because they were lower AA% than I expected, but I think they made the beer a bit fruitier. If I ever do it again I'd probably go with the actual four step dry hop regimen as well, just to say I did it.

I'd also drop the mash temp a degree or two, or go up a percent or two on the sugar (in terms of extract) just to dry it out slightly more.

Other than that it is hard since it has been a year since I had a sample of the Russian River version.

Good luck to anyone else who gives it a shot, let me know how it turns out.

Quick question on this one - assuming you don't add bitterness with the finishing/dry hop additions, I calculate <100 IBUs from the bittering additions whether using 4 shots or 2 shots + 2oz Columbus. However, the recipe on your website claims 199IBUs. Am I missing something here?

I can get hold of this:
Ritchie Isomerised Hop Extract
so I'm not sure whether to go with 20ml as you suggest, or go with all 28ml plus extra hops to try to get close to the theoretical 199

Thanks

The hop extract I used was non-isomerized. It may also be chalked up to differences in the formula we use to calculate IBUs. I think as long as you are over 100 IBUs theoretical you should be fine, if anything mine had a sharper bitterness than the original (probably thanks to the Columbus addition).

Back