Can someone explain what type of Sparge I am doing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wookiemofo

Reaction score
All the different variations/names is getting a little overwhelming, hoping someone can pin point what I am doing, and what I should do.

I've done 2 PM batches, both relatively low eff (50-60%).

I use A 3 gal cooler (orange drink cooler) with an ss braid. The first batch was 5+ lb grain, second batch was 2.5 lb grain.

Here is my method:
Mash with proper amount of water with proper temp. Once mash is complete (60 min), run 1-2 cups of wort per minute and recirculate until clear. Once that is clear, I start draining the wort into the kettle at the same rate. While this is draining, I add 2-cups of sparge water (proper temp/volume) at a constant rate, maintaining 1/4" water above the grain bed. I pour this onto a small coffee lid to avoid channeling.

This is technically a fly sparge correct? And a improper method for a fly sparge compared to my low volume of grain and how i distribute the sparge water. I thought this was a batch sparge but I think i am wrong.

Should I instead drain the first run of wort (after recirculating), then pour in my sparge water, let sit for 10 minutes after a stir, and drain that?

Would that give me a higher eff? Not to mention save time and stress? This latter method I just described is technically a single infusion batch sparge correct?

This is technically a fly sparge correct?

Right. Sounds rather tedious, but not improper.

Batch sparging is much simpler for small grain volumes. I'd expect it to give you better efficiency, especially if you stir it a couple times.

Should I instead drain the first run of wort (after recirculating), then pour in my sparge water, let sit for 10 minutes after a stir, and drain that?

Would that give me a higher eff? Not to mention save time and stress? This latter method I just described is technically a single infusion batch sparge correct?

If I were you I would do the latter method. You'll probably get better efficiency, and you'll have more time to loaf while you run off.

Yes, your latter method is a single batch sparge.

You were kind of fly sparging, but I would guess with your method you weren't getting the grain rinsed evenly, and maybe you were sparging too fast.

This latter method I just described is technically a single infusion batch sparge correct?

since you said "technically"...a single infusion is talking about the mash. A single infusion would be one water temperature for the mash...i.e. 153F for 60 minutes.

A multi-infusion (usually called a Stepped Mash) will have more than one temperate held, then increased and held. You might do a protein rest for 20 mins at 130F then raise it to 153F for 40 mins.

This shouldn't be confused with doing more than one batch sparge. Start with just the single batch sparge like you mention, but know that some people will do two or even three smaller sparges, to increase efficiency. If you get good efficiency with a single batch sparge, I wouldn't mess with doing a double.

This sparks a questions from me...And I've always questioned if I was doing it correctly but if I'm doing a multi-batch sparge when do I take the reading for efficiency? After I drain the first running or after all the sparging is complete and I'm ready to start boiling?

I would recommend, as others have, that you batch sparge.

Drain all first runnings. Then add 175-180 degree water. (This may be debated, but you want your grains to be at 168. Adding 170 degree water will not get it there. I actually use 182 in my AG batch sparge system). Stir for a few minutes and then let sit for 10. Then vorlauf and run into kettle.

Assuming that your crush is good, you should get a decent jump in efficiency

Back