Saflager-23 Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berock

Reaction score
I have a refrigerator (in the house) and a freezer with a johnson controller. The freezer is in the garage. This weekend I'm brewing a Vienna Lager with S-23. It appears the proper temp zone for fermentation is 48 to 57 degrees. I would use my freezer but highs are expected to be 41 to 57 degrees in the next 10 days. I could use the freezer but risk the cold days bringing the fermenters below required temps. My refrigerator's highest setting (warm) is around 46 to 49 degrees. So I ask for your opinion. Should I ferment in the refrigerator or risk the freezer? I'm thinking about using the refrig and if it doesn't work use Safale US-5 at basement temps (68 degrees).

According to Northern Brewer bottom fermenter develops fruity and estery lager notes at 50 to 57 yet produces very good lager and pilsner beers at 61 to 68 F So that opens your options up a bit depending on what you want to do.

So could I hook up a heating pad to the controller and say lager at 52 degrees? Would the heating pad be strong enough with temperature lows of 32 degrees? It seems temps seems to be constantly around 42-46 in the freezer without any heating pad. I'm thinking probably since the freezer is insulated. Any opinions? If so, how do you change the settings in the Johnson controller for heating?

I think I found that I have to open the controller box and position jumper 1 for heating. Is that correct or am I making it too complicated? So if I have a heating pad would that be a way to go? Or should I keep the freezer hooked up to the controller and have the heating pad pluged in with an extension cord. Therefore running the heating pad constantly and only the freezer will cycle on and off to regulate temps?

I was given a packet of Saflarger s-23. Can I use it in a ale recipe and keep it down around high 50's low 60's then just bottle it in a couple of weeks? I hate to throw it away.

Back