A sparging question for my RIMS system...help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILOVEBEER

Reaction score
Hello,

Most of you are probably quite sick of hearing me say....its almost done...its almost done. It is I swear!:D

Anyway, the question I have is a matter of personal preference and efficiency.

My MLT is located in the center of the system. (two tier one pump). I built a copper manifold that is located right in the center and above the MLT along with that I built a 8" copper manifold for sparging (1/2" pipe with 4 curved outlets) that in theory will rest on top of the grain bed and gently deliver water to the system as it sparges.

I purchased some loc-line (1/2") to connect the sparge arm to the upper part of the manifold.

My question is this....I have seen some setups that have a tube routed on the inside wall of the MLT and create a "swirling" effect within the TUN...others use a sparge arm to gently rain down on the grain as I plan.

WHICH IS A MORE EFFICIENT SPARGE METHOD?

Thanks for the help.

Joe

Neither...

Sprinkling and gently adding water with a straight tube, does the same thing. There is no gain or loss in sprinkling water... as well there is no gain or loss in using a straight tube to deliver the water.

The KEY is not disturbing the grain bed. As long as you are not disturbing the grain bed, it doenst matter how you get the sparge water in there.

Your lauter eff. will depend more on what you have UNDER the grain bed.

Thank you for the advice on the loc-line!

Got it....I made the TUN so it drains from the bottom and it utilizes a 16g 15" FB without a center hole as most come. I should get good efficiency ( I HOPE).

Thanks Pol.....as a matter of fact I was looking through your gallery...I was really admiring the ORANGE APA you made. How did it taste?

I prefer sprinkling the sparge water on just because I have my sparge head attached to the lid of my tun. However as Pol has pointed out - as long as you don't disturb the grain you are good to go.

Thank you for the advice on the loc-line!

Got it....I made the TUN so it drains from the bottom and it utilizes a 16g 15" FB without a hole. I should get good efficiency ( I HOPE).

Thanks Pol.....as a matter of fact I was looking through your gallery...I was really admiring the ORANGE APA you made. How did it taste?

The Imperial Orange APA is AWESOME!!!!! You should try it.

My last run I had 91% lauter eff with my falsie. If you can get complete conversion and into the 90's on your lauter eff, you will be right near 90% to the kettle.

I Love Beer.....as we all do. I have tried several IPA's and my virgin hop tastebuds say:( "WTF was that?":)

I love citrusy beers and porters and stouts and lagers etc etc....I just cannot get into IPA's (for now).....it just looks so awesome sitting there with all the cascade hops in the carboy.

If possible describe the taste or compare it to a beer I might know....I'd be willing to try and make it.

Thanks again!

I Love Beer.....as we all do. I have tried several IPA's and my virgin hop tastebuds say:( "WTF was that?":)

I love citrusy beers and porters and stouts and lagers etc etc....I just cannot get into IPA's (for now).....it just looks so awesome sitting there with all the cascade hops in the carboy.

If possible describe the taste or compare it to a beer I might know....I'd be willing to try and make it.

Thanks again!

It is not an IPA, I can tell you that. It is citrusy, caramely sweet... It is not like a Long Hammer or something, the IBUs are actually quite low.

That makes me excited to know. Cool...I was looking at your recipes and didnt see it....something you made?

That makes me excited to know. Cool...I was looking at your recipes and didnt see it....something you made?

It is a highly modified version of Black Labs Orange Cascade APA. I have a thread on a bewcast that I did, the recipe is in there.

Back