Westvleteren Trip 2009!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bosium

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just felt I had to share this someone who might actually appreciate the enormity of the news:

I have just got off the phone with a monk at the Abbey of St Sixtus in Westvleteren, Belgium. I had to sit on the phone for 2 hours before I could get through, but I did eventually.

I am going to collect 3x 24 bottle cases of Westvleteren 8 (my favourite) on Saturday the 17th. It should take me a few hours to get there from where I currently live in Essex in the UK, so will make a one night trip of it. I went a year ago with a mate, we were unable to book any but we thought we'd just buy some from the giftshop. Little did we know, the 1st of November is a holy day and the monks had declared it a Sunday, so they wouldn't sell us any! I had to beg and plead and tell them I'd come all the way from South Africa (mostly true) before they grudgingly sold us a bottle each! Hopefully this time will be more successful.

I'll probably drive up on Sat morning, have lunch at the abbey before collecting my beers, then treat my SWMBO to a night in Bruges (I know a fantastic beer pub that does the most amazing beer recipes, and hundreds of beers.) with chocolates and belgian mussels w/ frites, then drive back the next evening.

I'll prob stop by at Noel Cuveliers to get the rest of my belgians, what a great place, maybe get some camembert and some french wine in Calais (if I can find anywhere that is open) before heading back to rainy England.

Wish me luck!

Very cool, I was in Bruges earlier this summer. Wish I knew about that bar though.

Just 8? You should pick up some 12 and 16! Cool nonetheless.

Well you can get whatever they happen to be selling at the time, be it Blonde, 8 or 12. They happen to be selling the 8 when I am going, and it is my favourite anyway. They don't allow you to mix and match, and they only sell one type at any given time by the case,

I will probably get some 12's from the gift shop as well (they limit this to 6 bottles per person, and at an inflated price compared to the case price), and have a blonde or two with my lunch (really bitter, 41 IBU! Goes well with belgian pate).

They don't make a 16..

Oh ok I see.
Heh you are right about the 16, I guess I got it confused when I read this.
Sweet though, that sounds like it's going to be hell of fun.

please let us know how it goes.

i'm hoping to do a 2 week bike tour of belgium with my dad and my brother in the next couple years. saint sixtus and bruges would definitely be on the agenda.

Back