Do i have too much unfermentables?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sniper06

Reaction score
I have a beer that seem to be stuck at 1.042. I must admit i underpitched by pulling a couple of samples with my sanitized turkey baster from an actively fermenting culture of Pacman instead of ding a starter. My gut feeling is telling me that i may have a high percentage of unfermentables. I steeped my grains for 30 mins at 155F. But I think I crushed them a bit too much. Will crushing grains too much cause a stuck fermentation due to a high percentage of unfermentables?

No, it wouldn't have anything to do with your grain's crush. I believe your problem is with your yeast.

It's not that you have too many unfermentables, there would still be fermentable sugars in there. Just not enough yeast to "eat" them.

This is the recipe I used:

Batch size is 2.25 gal

2.75 lbs light DME
0.25 lbs Carapils
0.25 lbs Caraaroma
0.05 lbs Roasted Barley
0.50 oz Northeren Brewer for 30 mins

Pacman Yeast from Bottle culture

Measured OG is 1.065 with a refractometer.
Currently sitting on 1.042.

Latest development:
I've read up on restarting. Since I`ve already tried rousing the yeast and moving the vessel to a warmer temperature, I pitched a pack of dry Nottingham.

One thing I failed to do is to rack the beer to another primary and leave the trub behind. Would this be bad for the restart and should I separate the trub from the beer and repitch the Notty

One thing I failed to do is to rack the beer to another primary and leave the trub behind. Would this be bad for the restart and should I separate the trub from the beer and repitch the Notty

This could definitely make matters worse. You don't want to rack your beer until it's done fermenting. That's not just trub down in the cake. It's also a good quantity of live yeast that you would be depriving your beer of. That's why swirling the fermenter to get it back into suspension is a good technique.

I don't think racking would have hurt a thing this time since you pitched a new batch of yeast.

Rack beer, pitch yeast....

David :)

thanks for the replies. I checked the beer and its still stalled. I guess I'm gonna have to rack to another bucket and pitch another pack of Notty.

By the way, this batch has been stuck for about a week now. I started this brew a month ago. It started off good then slowed down when it hit 1.056, then stopped at 1.042.

The beer looks pretty clear now and there is no sign of activity even after pitching the notty. I tasted a sample and it was sweet.

Back