RIMS System plans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am thinking I will go with the HERMS system except remove the second pump connecting the MLT to the Kettle and just drop the kettle down to gravity feed it. The platform should be pretty strait forward. I am going to make it a bit bigger incase I get 30gal pots in the future. Looks like I will be using 2 natural gas burners.

I am thinking I will go with the HERMS system except remove the second pump connecting the MLT to the Kettle and just drop the kettle down to gravity feed it. The platform should be pretty strait forward. I am going to make it a bit bigger incase I get 30gal pots in the future. Looks like I will be using 2 natural gas burners.

That is the same configuration that I have on my HERMS

Here is a quick mockup of the updated system. I removed the second pump and added a pipe from the top of the kettle to the bottom to let the liquid rise slowly.

HERMSv2.png

Why not run your wort from the bottom of the MLT to the bottom valve on the BK??

I have a few PM batches that I will try this way (if I get low eff., just throw in some more extract) and report back.

FWIW, got 75% on the head this morning with a simple pale ale just throwing all the grain (5lb) and water into the mash tun. Did a mash-out. Was my first batch with my new barley crusher and this "new" technique (not quite BiaB). I can probably squeeze 5% or so more with a finer crush. Not sure how well this scales to full AG batches. (I bought some LME in bulk and am using it up...) But it was darned easy.

You can use an induction plate for heating as long as the SS pot you are using is magnetic. They have automatic temp control and use very little power. Max Burton commercial unit is what I use and it works like a champ.

Back