SS Braid, screw the false bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopmadness

Reaction score
Just completed my latest project. Screw my false bottom....too many stuck sparges with that thing. Can't wait to try this SS braid:) Check out the pic below:tank:

Photo_49.jpg

Hey, that looks like mine. I used a slightly longer braid though.

When I built my MLT I was being cheap and just salvaged stuff I had around the house. Instead of using the SS braided line like most use, I had a roll of SS bug screen like you would use to replace your door or window screen.

I cut a rectangle piece and just rolled it into roughly a 1" tube. Pulled some strands out of the mesh and used these like thread and "sewed" the tube into a permanent shape. Used a small radiator clamp to attach to an outlet hose stuffed through the cooler's drain port.

The large size of this screen allowed the MLT to drain out nicely. I was careful to make sure the entire length of the "mesh tube" had at least 3 layers of screen for proper screening.
After circulating a few times the liquor runs clear just fine.

I did something very similar. However, I formed the ring by just sticking each end of the braid onto a nylon tee. I tried it the way you're using and I didn't like the way it pinched the braid. I'm sure it'll work well, though.

Back