El Dorado Hops anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I"m gonna pick up a pound of this hop. Anyone brewed with it?

I'd like to know it's qualities before I decide how to use it. I've read some things online but those are all second-hand reports and not direct observations.

I recently made a 1 gallon test batch with them. It was a hopburst-style ale to see what they are all about. They have a unique flavor/aroma. I read they would taste/smell like a jolly rancher and they do. I don't know that I'd call it cherry jolly rancher, but more of a hoppy jolly rancher. The hops are sweet-ish. They performed about as well as I expected. I'd like to find more, but I've had a hard time sourcing them.

Briess - 2 Row Brewers Malt Grain 3.0 lb
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L Grain 4.0 oz
El Dorado 12.5% 0.350 oz Boil 15.000 min Leaf 24.2
El Dorado 12.5% 0.350 oz Boil 10.000 min Leaf 17.7
El Dorado 12.5% 0.350 oz Boil 5.000 min Leaf 9.7
El Dorado 12.5% 0.350 oz Boil 3.000 min Leaf 6.1
El Dorado 12.5% 0.350 oz Boil 1.000 min Leaf 2.1
El Dorado 12.5% 0.500 oz Dry Hop

I recently made a 1 gallon test batch with them. It was a hopburst-style ale to see what they are all about. They have a unique flavor/aroma. I read they would taste/smell like a jolly rancher and they do. I don't know that I'd call it cherry jolly rancher, but more of a hoppy jolly rancher. The hops are sweet-ish. They performed about as well as I expected. I'd like to find more, but I've had a hard time sourcing them.

Briess - 2 Row Brewers Malt Grain 3.0 lb
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L Grain 4.0 oz
El Dorado 12.5% 0.350 oz Boil 15.000 min Leaf 24.2
El Dorado 12.5% 0.350 oz Boil 10.000 min Leaf 17.7
El Dorado 12.5% 0.350 oz Boil 5.000 min Leaf 9.7
El Dorado 12.5% 0.350 oz Boil 3.000 min Leaf 6.1
El Dorado 12.5% 0.350 oz Boil 1.000 min Leaf 2.1
El Dorado 12.5% 0.500 oz Dry Hop

Hmmm, thanks for that. I think I'll use them with some other hops in late additions. A lesson I learned with Amarillo is that some unique hops don't work well on their own.

We are using them as a dry hop addition in our commercial Black IPA:

Santa-Fe-Black-IPA.png

Try it for yourself to see if you like it. I definitely think there is a "Jolly Rancher" like quality...

Hmmm, thanks for that. I think I'll use them with some other hops in late additions. A lesson I learned with Amarillo is that some unique hops don't work well on their own.

Yeah. It needs something to help balance it out. It's a good beer, but I think they'd play better with others.

Where are you getting them from, i have been wanting to try them for awhile, but havent been able to find them anywhere.

If you end up with a couple "extra" ounces that you'd be willing to sell i would love to try them

I made a single hop APA with them, and found the flavor is reminiscent of water melon, but its subtle. Similar to Palisade or Athanum in strength. I suggest using a heavy hand with them when you use them.

Back