Analog or Digital Johnson Controller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tankard

Reaction score
(Pause for inevitable "Johnson Control" joke)

Anyway, I just bought my Kegerator and I am looking for temperature controllers. Is it really worht buying a digital controller? I've been looking at this wired one on Morebeer. http://morebeer.com/view_product/16666/102282/Digital_Temperature_Controller_-_Wired

If I am correct, this requires no wiring to the internal thermostat in the kegerator. Just put the sensor in and it does the rest? This is essentially how the analog one works.

The only major difference I'm seeing is that the digital controller has a 1 degree differential while this analog one http://morebeer.com/view_product/16663/102282/Analog_Temperature_Controller has a 4 degree differential.

Opinions?

I have a digital one and love it. It's easy to set the temp and read the current temp. You also have the option to change different settings which is nice.

Analog works fine, but digital is nicer.

I have an analog and it works great. I am a techno-geek so next time I will get a digital.

I use the analog controller on my keezer and use digital for my fermentation fridge. For your kegerator you will only need to set it once (mine is at 42F) and your kegged beer will hold temperature very steady. You don't need the tight control that a digital offers and it is easier on your compressor if you don't set it for a 1 degree differential as it won't cycle as often.

GT

I use the analog controller on my keezer and use digital for my fermentation fridge. For your kegerator you will only need to set it once (mine is at 42F) and your kegged beer will hold temperature very steady. You don't need the tight control that a digital offers and it is easier on your compressor if you don't set it for a 1 degree differential as it won't cycle as often.

GT

Hmmm, I guess I should have mentioned that I plan on using this kegerator as a fermentation chamber as well. I would like to have as much control over the the temperature as possible. Will a 4 degree swing affect the beer, if I set it at 68 for example, it would range between 64 and 72. Is this good enough?

Hmmm, I guess I should have mentioned that I plan on using this kegerator as a fermentation chamber as well. I would like to have as much control over the the temperature as possible. Will a 4 degree swing affect the beer, if I set it at 68 for example, it would range between 64 and 72. Is this good enough?

It will work OK - if you set it for 68 I believe it will range from 68 to 72, it will not drop down to 64. If you place the probe in the air or in a small container of water then your beer will not fluctuate as much given its large thermal mass. I would lean towards the digital for what you want to do as the dial on the Johnson is not accurate so you would need to calibrate it for the various temperatures you want to use and it would be easier to just program the digital one.

GT

On morebeer they actually have a sensor probe that fits inside a rubber stopper or carboy cap, and connects to the digital controller. Sounds like this one would work well.

I prefer the precision of digital and the lack of mechanical parts.

That said, regardless of whether you use your cold box as a fermentation chamber or a kegerator you don't need any more than a 3 to 4 degree differential. It will just cause the compressor to cycle too often and shorten it's useful life if not burn it up.

Another advantage of the digital version is that "if" you ever need to switch between heating or cooling modes the digital can be changed at the touchpad where the analogie requires you to open the controll and flip a mechanical switch.

I purchased this Ranco digital controller and have been using it on my chest freezer for fermentation for a week. I love the fact that I can read the actual temp on the inside of the freezer.

And, it's cheaper than ordering the same one from morebeer. BTW, choose Priority 2-3 Days shipping instead of Ground. It fits into a smaller package and will be cheaper than ground. :mug:

Latest posts

Back