Things to do (drink) in Columbus.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
SWMBO and I will be flying into Columbus for NHC and returning through there sometime on Saturday with a flight out early Sunday morning.

Any advice on beer, food and lodging.

TIA

It's been a few years since I've been there but, I remember Barley's being pretty good. I'll also remember eating at a pretty good German restaurant. I'll see if I can dig up the info on that.

EDIT - Here it is Schmidt's Sausage Haus I thought the food was excellent. I can't recall their beer choices. Definitely worth a visit though in my opinion.

EDIT again - Found this comment on Schmidt's beer selection on Pubcrawler
Schmidt's Sausage Haus has been a Columbus institution for over 100 years. Famous for their sausage and other German dishes, Schmidt's also has a very nice selection of imported German beers on draft. They also have quite a few Columbus micro-brews on tap, including a few Schmidt's beers made by Elevator Brewing Co.

I used to live at 111 E Royal Forest. My old neighbor always had nice beer. Tell him Tom sent you.

Truthfully, it has been years, but in Germantown there was a brewpub and the Columbus brewing company was also there. But still, my old friend Dave would be my best bet!

I used to live at 111 E Royal Forest. My old neighbor always had nice beer. Tell him Tom sent you.

Truthfully, it has been years, but in Germantown there was a brewpub and the Columbus brewing company was also there. But still, my old friend Dave would be my best bet!

You're setting me up for the biggest, "Dave's not here!", joke in modern history aren't you.

SWMBO and I will be flying into Columbus for NHC and returning through there sometime on Saturday with a flight out early Sunday morning.

Any advice on beer, food and lodging.

TIA

+1 on the German Village. I arrive in Columbus on Wednesday around 11:30 AM and am picking up a car to drive down to Cinci. Need a ride?

+1 on the German Village. I arrive in Columbus on Wednesday around 11:30 AM and am picking up a car to drive down to Cinci. Need a ride?

We're taking the redeye and will be in on Thursday around 7AM.

Do us a favor and don't break the Columbus airport or anything. :D

Barley's has some killer wings and great brew. Elevator has some decent beers as well, not a huge fan of the atmosphere though. Tip Top is a cool place to hang out and grab a late night sandwich with a decent beer list, including Columbus Brewing Co on tap. If you want a good lunch check out Haiku, really good sushi place, they have the standard asian beers as well as Sierra Nevada, really relaxing outdoor area as well. All these places are within several blocks of each other downtown.

I might be able to help you out here as a resident of Columbus.. I disagree with the earlier poster that prefers Barleys downtown to the smokhouse. I think the smokhouse has a better taplist and always has better guest drafts and their bbq is top notch! Try the brisket nachos! If you are looking for a great bar to just drink killer drafts try Bodega in the short north.. It is very small but it has an incredible tap list! And a fantastic half price happy hour from 4-8... Oh and their chicken tandori pizza is killer too if you like spicy... Elevator is nice if you are looking for a fancy place to eat. Their beers are pretty average... If you are on the east side I hear Mullholland's brewpub in reynoldsburg is pretty good and currenly running a 1.50 a pint special... although I haven't been yet. You also can't miss with the Winking Lizard on Bethel Road and up at Crosswoods. They have many of the finest beers you can get in Ohio. Columbus Brewing Company down in the Brewery District is next to a Cameron Mitchell restaurant and the beers are decent if you are looking for some fine dining as well. Those should be enough to get something good to drink for you!

I might be able to help you out here as a resident of Columbus.. I disagree with the earlier poster that prefers Barleys downtown to the smokhouse. I think the smokhouse has a better taplist and always has better guest drafts and their bbq is top notch! Try the brisket nachos! If you are looking for a great bar to just drink killer drafts try Bodega in the short north.. It is very small but it has an incredible tap list! And a fantastic half price happy hour from 4-8... Oh and their chicken tandori pizza is killer too if you like spicy... Elevator is nice if you are looking for a fancy place to eat. Their beers are pretty average... If you are on the east side I hear Mullholland's brewpub in reynoldsburg is pretty good and currenly running a 1.50 a pint special... although I haven't been yet. You also can't miss with the Winking Lizard on Bethel Road and up at Crosswoods. They have many of the finest beers you can get in Ohio. Columbus Brewing Company down in the Brewery District is next to a Cameron Mitchell restaurant and the beers are decent if you are looking for some fine dining as well. Those should be enough to get something good to drink for you!

Opinion based on bad food experience. The beer is fine. I thought their BBQ kind of blew.

+1 on Bodega. They have a great taplist. Everything is 1/2 price for happy hour. It's located in the short north area which is just north of downtown on High Street. If you get bored there are about a dozen more bars in close walking distance from there. And of course don't miss the gyro platter at the happy greek....always a nice treat. It's also in the Short North area.
Too bad you wont be in Columbus on Sunday. The final judging for the Barleys home brew contest is that morning and the "Afternoon with the Brewers" is that afternoon from 2-5. I have a beer in the finals. Its in the top 10 out of 80....wish me luck.

Back