Fridge or Freezer for Fermentation Temp Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hal simmons

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a setup for controlling my fermentation temps. My plan is to get a temperature controller from either MoreBeer or AHBS. I've seen people using both fridge's and freezers for this sort of thing. What are the pros and cons of each? I typically have 2 carboys going any any one time, so i'll need something that fits more than just 1 carboy.

It seems like from what i've read, the fridge is easier to load into and out of, but the freezer will fit more carboys potientially. Any other benefits to either? I'm planning on trying to find a cheap used fridge/freezer on craigslist to get me setup.

you've pretty much covered it. anything 'upright' will lose a lot of cold because it pours out when you open the door. chest style holds the cold better since cold air sinks...the lid opening has less impact.

that said, the thermal mass of 5gallons of liquid is good buffer even with an upright.

if you have no physical limitations preventing you from hefting 5 gallons into a chest freezer, I'd go that route. but that's just my opinion. chest freezers, you can also build a collar and run gas and taps through that, and avoid having to drill a door or sidewall of a fridge.

I just got a chest freezer off craigs list for 60 bucks. It is in mint condition. I also just purchased a johnson controls temperature control from northern brewer website. I did a lot of searching and they were the cheapest. Controls with shipping for 60$

What size of freezer did you get? I have been looking around and it seems that the minimum to fit two buckets is the 7 cubic feet models. This would also be a tight fit. Sam's club sells one for $175 and there are several on Craigs list (not any great deals). I am hoping that a 9 cubic feet model may fit 3 buckets. The 9 cubic feet models are $275 and I am having no luck going finding a used one. Does anyone know if the 9 cubic feet can fit 3 fermentors?

I think mine is a 7.5 or so. It will fit one glass carboy or three cornies. Im going ot start using the cornies for lagering/fermenting. you must be typing in something wrong on craigs list. Here in St. Louis there are always cheap fridges and freezers.

Back