Yay, First Kegged Hefe in das Goblet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
keghefe.jpg

Beeeautiful, I say! 3 weeks from kettle to glass: I likey.

It tastes awesome. Less banana-clovey esters from the Weihenstephaner yeast than I expected, but it's really balanced. What's most striking here is the incredible malty melanoidin profile that it displays. All from a single freakin' decoction. It's awesomely biscuity and malty, but light and refreshing at the same time.

This one'll go quick. :tank:

Get the proper glass noob! :D

That looks very good. I'll be going kettle to glass with some Hefe in 2 weeks time. I like to drink them asap without pulling too much yeast...

Soulive said:
Get the proper glass noob! :D

That looks very good. I'll be going kettle to glass with some Hefe in 2 weeks time. I like to drink them asap without pulling too much yeast...
Beat me to it...;)

I do a secondary to reduce the yeast going into the bottle/keg and eventually the glass. :D

"Proper" = my effin' Lucifer goblet, goddamnit. yes, I have a nice tall glass as hefe is traditionally served in, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna dirty another glass, when the goblet works better in the first place :D

oh, and that stupid dragon tree...I've had that thing for years. It started off 8" tall, now it's taller than I am. It gets water...it just doesn't like coming inside for the winter. Once summer rolls around and I can put it back outside, it'll be happy.

3 weeks! Solid. I need to get the keg system rolling. I just bottled my 1st AG hefe after 15 days in primary. Bottling, what a PIA!

Soulive said:
What was your force-carbing procedure? I'm always open to new methods...

I call it the ol' OhioBrewtus Two-Step:

1. 2 days @ 35psi.
  2. Disconnect the gas line after 2 days.
  3. Release pressure via release valve. Wait 1 hour. Release again. Wait another hour. Release a 3rd time.
  4. Hook up gas @ serving PSI (10psi +/-), and you're ready to serve.

Okay, so it looks like 4 steps, but it's actually 2. :D

Evan! said:
I call it the ol' OhioBrewtus Two-Step:

1. 2 days @ 35psi.
  2. Disconnect the gas line after 2 days.
  3. Release pressure via release valve. Wait 1 hour. Release again. Wait another hour. Release a 3rd time.
  4. Hook up gas @ serving PSI (10psi +/-), and you're ready to serve.

Okay, so it looks like 4 steps, but it's actually 2. :D

That's interesteing, I usually do;

- 2 days @ 35psi
- rock keg on 35psi, then vent
- reset to serving psi
- serve after 5-7 days

What's the reason for disconnecting the gas and then doing the hourly venting?

Soulive said:
That's interesteing, I usually do;

- 2 days @ 35psi
- rock keg on 35psi, then vent
- reset to serving psi
- serve after 5-7 days

What's the reason for disconnecting the gas and then doing the hourly venting?

So that you're not "serving" on 35---you're effectively resetting the keg pressure by allowing the excess co2 to offgas out of solution. I'm pretty sure (you'll have to ask OB for more info) that this minimizes overfoaming.

Evan! said:
So that you're not "serving" on 35---you're effectively resetting the keg pressure by allowing the excess co2 to offgas out of solution. I'm pretty sure (you'll have to ask OB for more info) that this minimizes overfoaming.

But what I usually do is leave it on 35psi, then shut the valve from the tank, vent all pressure, set the regulator to serving, and then re-pressurize. Brewtus, what say you on this hourly venting deal?? Is it just to make sure the excess co2 in solution works its way out?

Back