Bought Some Grains, Bought Some Hops - Help me combine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I had an epiphany the other day and decided that I need a better grasp of what different base grains and different hops contribute to my brews. Most of what I bought I have never used before but I searched on here a bit to get the feeling that if I just ordered a variety, then the good people of HBT would help me out with their vast experience.

The grains are already crushed and combined for 5.5 gallon recipes. They are intended to be simple ales with very few caramel or specialty grains and I plan on using just one type of hop for flavor and aroma in each recipe but I'm open to suggestions for the bittering hops. So here's what I've got.

Grain Bill #1
11 lb Golden Promise
10 oz Cara Amber

Grain Bill #2
10 lb Vienna Malt
10 oz Caramel 20

Grain Bill #3
9 lbs Maris Otter
8 oz Golden Naked Oats
8 oz Honey Malt

Grain Bill #4
11 lbs 2-Row
1 lb Cara Red
12 oz Caramel 80

And I have several ounces each of Columbus(12.4), Amarillo(7.2), Centennial (6.0), Citra (11.1), and Simcoe(12.4). My immediate thought was to use 0.5-0.75 oz of Columbus for bittering in each one and then pair the other 4 types of hops with the 4 grain bills for flavor and aroma as late additions. For yeast, I will use WLP001 or equal and ferment in the mid 60's.

So what do you feel the best combinations are here?

Follow up question... Is this going help accomplish my goal of understanding base grain and hop characters?

Thanks

I'd probably consider hopping them all the same for more equal side by side comparisons, I'd also keep the IBUs fairly low 25-30 or so. It'll be a bit tough to tell what is coming from the base malt because each beer has different specialty grains.

Back