5 gallons down the...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malc

Reaction score
...basement steps.:(
I was carrying my carboy of newly produced esb wort into the house. I went to set it down to open the basement door, it slipped out of my hand, broke on the tile and went all over the place. Tile, basement steps, carpet, cold air returns...everywhere. It was awful.
Thank God i had some new neighbors over. They not only helped me clean up, but their presence may have saved me from the wrath of swmbo. She remained very calm throughout. I can only assume she was trying to put on a good face for the neighbors.

Beer in the air ducts is the worst. One time, SWMBO accidentally bumped a tap handle without realizing it and slowly poured 5gals of fresh brew onto the floor and into the ducts.

I hope your spill didn't leave as much of a lasting odor as mine did!

I'll ask the question...Did this spill deter you away from carboys? Im sure I'd be pissed enough to make the switch to BB's after this.

I would say you are lucky that you aren't all cut up. That really sux. Glad your neighbors were there. Hopefully everything was fine when they left and the wrath didn't start up then.

Seems like there's a "broke my carboy" thread on here every week. Knock on wood I've been lucky so far. I've gone as far as hauling 10 gallons of beer in a big 15 gallon demijohn by myself as well as shaking it for aeration. You think a 6 gallon carboy is heavy. :)

I was carrying my carboy of newly produced esb wort into the house. I went to set it down to open the basement door, it slipped out of my hand, broke on the tile and went all over the place. Tile, basement steps, carpet, cold air returns...everywhere.

When I returned to home brewing after a hiatus of many years I purchased glass carboys because that was the only option years ago + there is nothing like glass from an aesthetic standpoint. However, after having to haul 6.5 gals + the weight of the glass carboy up and down 2 flights of stairs each brewing session not to mention the near misses of slippery glass dropping out of my hands I went ahead and purchased some BB 5 & 6 gal carboys. One of the best brewing gear decisions that I ever made. Easy to carry, easy to clean. Never worry about dropping a carboy and with the weight loss from the glass, doubt that I ever will. I love glass but from an ease of use standpoint particularly when going up and down stairs, the BB is the way to go. Montanaandy

I'll ask the question...Did this spill deter you away from carboys? Im sure I'd be pissed enough to make the switch to BB's after this.

I wonder if everyone started using PET bottles the first time they dropped a bottle of beer or started using plastic cups after breaking a glass.

I dropped a carboy about six inches due to misplaced confidence in a carboy handle. Adios to 6 gallons of Oktobefest ale and hola to a few hours with a carpet cleaner.

Anyway, brewer solidarity. Hang in there bro.

I've been extra careful lately handling my carboys, as these threads have been a constant reminder. I think straps might be a good investment in my near future. Might also have to grab some BBs myself. Glad nobody was hurt, but oohhh man what a bummer :'(

One thing that I have been thinking about recently is actually putting some of that no-slip stair tread adhesive that is available from most home improvement stores. The stuff that looks like black sandpaper with an adhesive backing. At the very least, it should provide some traction when holding on to them.

One thing that I have been thinking about recently is actually putting some of that no-slip stair tread adhesive that is available from most home improvement stores. The stuff that looks like black sandpaper with an adhesive backing. At the very least, it should provide some traction when holding on to them.

Some people have reportedly wrapped plastic wrap or tape around their glass carboys to keep them from shattering and slicing their hands. Sort of a containment device.

Wearing good leather gloves should prevent any slipping and protect your hands if it does shatter.

I wonder if everyone started using PET bottles the first time they dropped a bottle of beer or started using plastic cups after breaking a glass.

I wonder if everyone started comparing apples to oranges because they didn't like bananas. There's a huge difference between a large glass container that weighs upwards of 50 lbs when full and a small cup or bottle. There are risks and benefits to using glass instead of plastic but this comparison is downright silly. But just to play along, in situations where the risk of injury is high enough (like on my boat or near the pool) I absolutely use plastic (or aluminum) instead of glass for my drink container.

i've had the wort down the basement stairs happen to me too.. but out of a pot, not carboy... lucky for me swmbo was out! it's all good man, this crap happens. brew again!

I hauled a glass carboy up and down the stairs once. Then I switched to fermenting in corny kegs. Handles, lighter, seals up so no sloshing, FTW!

My condolences.

Sorry for your loss, maybe this will make you feel better.

This June, after transfering 20gallons of great tasting beer into the secondaries. Came back a few days later only two find a freakish galaxy like looking infections over top all of my beers!

After forcing myself to taste it, and nearly vomiting because of a taste/smell that resembled bleach/seman hahahaha

Needless to say I poured all 20 gals down the basement sink. And have had to pay for expensive commerical beer since then.

I'm sure milk crates work fine and dandy, but I'm a huge fan of my "brew hauler"

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/the-brew-hauler.html

It's one of those "why hell didn't I get this sooner" types of things.

I've been looking at getting one of these for a while....this thread REALLY makes me want to quit LOOKING and start ORDERING!!

They say you shouldn't cry over spilled milk...but I think I'd STILL be crying over 5g of spilled beer!! I guess the only thing you can do now...is brew more!!

I was carrying my carboy of newly produced esb wort into the house. I went to set it down to open the basement door, it slipped out of my hand, broke on the tile and went all over the place. Tile, basement steps, carpet, cold air returns...everywhere. It was awful.
Thank God i had some new neighbors over. They not only helped me clean up, but their presence may have saved me from the wrath of swmbo. She remained very calm throughout. I can only assume she was trying to put on a good face for the neighbors.

The wrath of swmbo can be quick and deadly. Like a ninja, swmbo can get the pebble from the palm of your hand and then jam it up your tail pipe and yell at you for getting her hands dirty.

Sorry for your loss, maybe this will make you feel better.

This June, after transfering 20gallons of great tasting beer into the secondaries. Came back a few days later only two find a freakish galaxy like looking infections over top all of my beers!

After forcing myself to taste it, and nearly vomiting because of a taste/smell that resembled bleach/seman hahahaha

Needless to say I poured all 20 gals down the basement sink. And have had to pay for expensive commerical beer since then.

I don't want to know how you know what semen tastes like.

I just recently bought a milk crate, which is a nice safe way to move a carboy.

I've "bought" myself about a dozen of those over the last couple years. ;)

Another nice thing about milk crates it their ability to hold exactly 25 standard 12 oz. beer bottles, 5x5, snug as a bug. Makes for a much neater brewery.

Haha, I'd love to hear/read that story.

It was the final stroke of a simple extract brew gone horribly, horribly wrong.

I started around 3 in the afternoon, expecting to be done within a few hours. First, I decided that I wasn't going to "waste" propane, so I tried to do a full boil on the stove. After about 4 hours, I finally decided my stove couldn't get the wort past 194F. So I split the batch into two pots. Turns out that even though I had pretty even volume, one of my pots is terrible at heat transfer and still wouldn't boil. So I keep transferring wort out of that pot into the one that IS boiling until that one boils.

So I get to my late extract addition at the 15 minute mark, and the thing will not return to a boil. So I just set the timer anyway because I'm ready to be done.

Now it's 9:30 at night, freezing out, and I really don't want to go outside and hook up the IC to cool the wort for another hour, so I decide I'm gonna be a no-chill pioneer and put it in the freezer overnight and pitch in the morning. But what's this? I can't find the lid to the brew kettle. Well, what are my other options? I've got buckets, a carboy, and a better bottle. Well, I don't have a sanitized bucket and I don't want to shatter the carboy, so into the better bottle it goes.

So I get a couple gallons in there and it's already starting to look deformed. I figure deformed plastic, no big deal, it'll still hold wort. I move out to the garage and put the BB in the freezer and dump the rest in (at least, the maximum the BB will now hold) and put the carboy cap on.

But the BB is not done melting. Oh no, it is not done melting. I check on it 15 minutes later and wort is leaking out the top of the carboy cap, due to the BB gradually losing volume by the second. So I grab some old towels and lay them down in the bottom of the freezer. I check again an hour later. Still leaking. I declare it a lost cause and turn in for the night.

By morning I have maybe 4 gallons of wort left and sopping wet towels in the bottom of the freezer. So, I hook up the blowoff tube and pitch. And of course, it has to be the most violent fermentation I've ever experienced, and I lose another half gallon of beer to blowoff.

Which is what I get for trying to do a "quick" beer.

Back