using bleach to sanitize a courney keg how much bleach?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

802VermontHomebrew

Reaction score
what ratio should I use? I just bought 4 courney kegs that have sat for a few years and want to clean them REALLY WELL! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

DON'T USE BLEACH! It's corrosive to Stainless Steel. You might be able to get away with it but do you even want to chance it?

Use Idophor, StarSan or something similar. Check with your LHBS or on-line store of choice.

DON'T USE BLEACH! It's corrosive to Stainless Steel. You might be able to get away with it but do you even want to chance it?

Use Idophor, StarSan or something similar. Check with your LHBS or on-line store of choice.
+1

Use anything mentioned already, or PBW, Oxy Clean Free

yeah I want to first clean them really well dust, any possible grime, etc.. I haven't cracked them all open yet so I'm not too sure what I'm in for... I move into my new house Friday and will be starting then. Thanks for the info on the bleach I didnt know that! I guess I will use what you guys listed then.

+ 2 Don't use bleach

Even at 40:1 bleach will react with stainless steel, at the best your going to say good bye to the nice shiny finish and that finish is why you paid for stainless steel and not plastic.:mug:

Getting ready to clean my first keg. Planning on 24-48 hours on Oxiclean soak with all the parts in the keg, then 24 hours in the Starsan with all parts in. New to me used keg and want it cleaned out good.

Not to hyjack the thread but the rings ok to soak too? or should they soak for a shorter amount of time. New rings.

To me Bleach is the best cleaner, I would use an 1.5 oz per 5 gallons, But I would only leave it in the corny for about an hour. that will give you the cleaning you want without the the corrosion.

Rings are OK too. Fill the keg with 2.5 gallons of oxy or PBW. Stand upright and turn over 1/2 way though your cleaning process. When sanitizing, you can use less (maybe a gallon). Make sure it stand upright & upside down (while sloshing it around to get the side walls). It may leak a little when the keg is upside down so be prepared for that. I also pressurize the keg and force the sanitizing solution out to clean the poppet and my beer line.

But that's just me. Other people may have a way that works better for them.

If you have kegs, you will be regularly sanitizing them. Pick up some iodophor at the LHBS. Bleach is not good for stainless steel. Even if one use is probably okay, you will be doing this for as long as you brew beer.

I use 1 tsp of bleach per gallon of water all the time to sanitize my cornys after cleaning with OxyClean. It is not in contact long enough that it has harmed anything.

Latest posts

Back